|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Blackened death metal, progressive metal|
|Years active||1997–2012, 2016–present|
|Labels||Goat of Mendes, Peaceville, Earache|
Akercocke's first album, Rape of the Bastard Nazarene, was self-released by the band in 1999. Akercocke later signed to Peaceville Records, releasing The Goat of Mendes in 2001, which reached number 4 in Terrorizer's album of the year chart. In 2003 the album Choronzon was released, through Earache Records. This album was voted number 1 metal release of the year by Terrorizer. Paul Scanlan left the band after this album, and was replaced by Matt Wilcock.
Akercocke released their fifth album, Antichrist, in May 2007. Whilst touring to promote the album, due to the perceived anti-Christian nature of the music, the band generated controversy in Northern Ireland when they scheduled a tour date in Belfast on 18 May 2007, and appeared on BBC1's debate show Nolan Live on 16 May 2007 to defend their right to play the gig. The band broke up in 2012 following extensive periods of inactivity. Prior to the break up, Akercocke were planning to release a DVD based on their 10-year anniversary as a band, though this was never released.
Akercocke revealed a surprise reunion as a band in 2016, featuring original Guitarist Paul Scanlan returning to the band along with newcomer Nathanael Underwood on bass guitar. The band posted a brand new song on YouTube, titled 'Inner Sanctum' on 24 April 2016. The launch of a new official website on 25 April 2016 was followed on 26 April 2016 with the announcement of a series of reunion shows starting with Bloodstock Open Air 2016, and a Full UK tour. A new album, Renaissance in Extremis, is not yet scheduled for release. It will be the band's first new release in over a decade.
- Jason Mendonça – guitar, vocals (1997-2012, 2016-present)
- Paul Scanlan – guitar (1997-2003, 2016-present)
- David Gray – drums (1997-2012, 2016-present)
- Nathanael Underwood – bass (2016-present)
- Rob Archibald – keyboards (2006-2010)
- Peter Theobalds – bass (1997-2007)
- Martin Bonsoir – keyboards (1997-2003)
- Daniel "The Ritz" Reeves – keyboards (2003-2006)
- Matt Wilcock – guitars (2004-2010)
- Peter Benjamin – bass (2007-2012)
- Dan Knight – guitars (2011-2012)
Current live members
- Sam Loynes – keyboards (2010-2012, 2016-present)
- Studio albums
- Rape of the Bastard Nazarene (1999)
- The Goat of Mendes (2001)
- Choronzon (2003)
- Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone (2005)
- Antichrist (2007)
- Renaissance in Extremis (2017)
- Lee, Cosmo (21 February 2006). "Akercocke – Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone – Review – Stylus Magazine". Stylus Magazine. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Blabbermouth.net – Akercocke to Film 10-Year Anniversary Concert for Live DVD/CD". Blabbermouth.net. 27 June 2007. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Blabbermouth.net – Akercocke to Play Belfast Tonight Despite Protests". Blabbermouth.net. 18 May 2007. Retrieved 11 September 2012.