Akhtar Raza Khan
|Islamic scholar Mufti
Mufti Mohammed Akhtar Raza Khan Qadri Azhari
February 2, 1943 |
Hijri date: 26 Muharram 1362
|Other names||Ismail Raza|
|Alma mater||Manzar-e-Islam (Bareilly, India)|
Akhtar Raza Khan also known as Azhari Miyan and Famous as "TAAJUSH SHARIAH"(Crown Of Shariah)  is an Indian Sunni Muslim scholar and Mufti. He is a descendant (great-grandson) of Ahmed Raza Khan, founder of Barelvi movement. He is considered by Sunni-Barelvi Muslims,i.e.,a large portion of Indian Sunni Muslims, as the Grand Mufti of India. His name is placed on the 22nd position in the list of The 500 Most Influential Muslims across the world (2014–15 edition), compiled by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre.
As an Islamic poet
Fatwas (judicial verdicts)
One of his famous fatwas is his edict on the interest given to a Muslim by a non-Muslim:
"When there is a dealing between a Muslim and a Muslim or a Muslim and a Zimmi Kaffir (a non-Muslim living in the safety of an Islamic state), the taking more money than loaned is considered as interest and such a dealing will be unlawful. However, if this condition does not exist, this excess money will not be considered as interest and will be legitimate for a Muslim as it is unanimous that there is no interest applicable when there is dealing between a Muslim and a Harbi Kaafir (a non-Muslim who is not living in the safety of an Islamic State)." (see Azharul Fatawa)
He issues fatwa from Markazi Dar al-Ifta, at Jamiatur Raza, Bareilly.
Fatwa Collection (Azharul Fatawa)
His Urdu language Fatwa collection is known as Majmu'ah Fatawa. The collection of his fatawa in English language is named Azharul Fatawa. The type of questions answered in the book are in relation to the Muslim communities living in Western countries because most of the Fatawa were issued in South Africa.
- Nabira E Ala Hazrat Kaif Raza Khan
- Ahmad Raza Khan
- Mustafa Raza Khan Qadri
- Hamid Raza Khan
- Tauqeer Raza Khan
- Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri
- Arsalan Raza Qadri
- "अजहरी मियां 10 मार्च को मकराना में-" [Azhari Miyan at Makranah on 10th March] (in Hindi). 8 March 2014.
- Tajjaliyat e Taj us Sharia Mufti Muhammad Akhtar Raza Khan Qadri by Muhammad Tariq Lahori Sunni Hanafi | archive.org
- World’s 500 ‘Most Influential Muslims’: 24 Indians in the list; Mufti Akhtar Raza Khan,Mahmood Madani in first 50 117 TwoCircles.net |16 October 2014 "He is the great-grandson of Ahmed Raza Khan (d. 1921), who founded the Barelwi movement in South Asia"
- INDIAN ISLAM: DEOBANDI-BARELVI TENSION CHANGING MAINSTREAM ISLAM IN INDIA"5. (SBU) The Barelvi school, which proudly promotes the Sufi ideal of pluralism, considers itself "mainstream" Islam in India due to its large following of over 75 percent of Sunni Muslims" | wikileaks.org
- Mufti Muhammad Akhtar Raza Khan Qaadiri Al-Azhari themuslim500.com
- Tiwari, Mrigank (July 8, 2014). "Barelvi school views SC fatwa order with caution". Times of India. TNN. Retrieved February 24, 2016.
Ala Hazrat's descendent Maulana Akhtar Raza Khan is the head of muftis across the country.
- "Geo Urdu - ﺩﻧﯿﺎ ﮐﯽ500ﺑﺎ ﺍﺛﺮ ﻣﺴﻠﻤﺎﻥ ﺷﺨﺼﯿﺎﺕ، ﻣﻔﺘﯽ ﺗﻘﯽ ﻋﺜﻤﺎﻧﯽ ﺍﻭﺭ ﻋﺎﻣﺮ ﻟﯿﺎﻗﺖ ﺑﮭﯽ ﺷﺎﻣﻞ" [The 500 Most Influential Muslims, Mufti Taqi Usmani and Amir Liaquat are also included] (in Urdu). 28 November 2013.
- Barelvi cleric in ‘most powerful Muslims’ list timesofindia.com | Mrigank Tiwari,TNN | Oct 20, 2014
- LLC. 2010. Barelvi: Aala Hazrat Ahmed Raza Khan Barelvi, Akhtar Raza, Sarfraz Ahmed Naeemi, Muhammad Muslehuddin Siddiqui, Barelvi, Aboobacker Ahmad. General Books LLC. ISBN 9781155903736
- Usha Sanyal. Generational Changes in the Leadership of the Ahl-e Sunnat Movement in North India during the Twentieth Century. Modern Asian Studies (1998), Cambridge University Press.
- Sanyal, Usha (2008). "Ahl-i Sunnat Madrasas: the Madrasa Manzar-i Islam, Bareilly, and Jamia Ashrafiyya, Mubarakpur". In Malik, Jamal. Madrasas in South Asia: Teaching terror?. Routledge.
- Plan to develop Bareilly’s Jamiatur Raza into an Arabic Persian University By NA Ansari, The Milli Gazette "Maulana Akhtar Raza Khan Azhari set up Madrasa Jamiatur Raza in 2000 in the city’s CB Ganj area with the ultimate objective of imparting all types of education."
- Safina e Bakhshish (Jild 8) - Islamic Books - Ahlesunnat
- "Azhar-Ul-Fatawa by Huzur Tajjush Shariah,Hazrat Allama Muhammad Akhtar Raza Khan Al-Azhari Qadiri(Maddazillahul Aali)". Scribd.