|Full name||Akil Rondel Dexter DeFreitas|
|Date of birth||7 November 1986|
|Place of birth||Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|2006–2008||North Florida Ospreys|
|2009–2010||North Carolina State Wolfpack|
|2007–2008||Central Florida Kraze||14||(5)|
|2002||Trinidad and Tobago U-17|
|2005||Trinidad and Tobago U-20|
|2006||Trinidad and Tobago U-21|
|2006||Trinidad and Tobago U-23|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 May 2015.
DeFreitas graduated from St. Anthony's College in 2006. He then went to the University of North Florida, scoring 7 goals and 3 assists in 17 games, tying for the team lead in goals in 2007. During that season, he was named to the Atlantic Sun Conference All-Freshman Team and the Second Conference All-Star Team, as well as being named conference Freshman of the Year. In 2008, he played 18 games, scoring 6 goals and 2 assists for Florida and was named to the Atlantic Sun Conference All-Star Team. In 2009, he was transferred to North Carolina State University and played in 20 games, scoring 2 goals and being named Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week multiple times.
Capital City F.C.
On 12 May 2011 it was announced that DeFreitas had signed to his first professional contract with Canadian Soccer League side Capital City F.C. in their inaugural season. Akil quickly became a mainstay on the wing for the Ottawa club, and was an integral part of the club's excellent first season. Over the course of the season, he developed great chemistry with teammate and club scoring leader Sullivan Silva, and contributed 10 goals and 5 assists in 23 games. This stellar performance earned him the CSL Rookie of the Year award. Of particular note was a two-goal performance in a 4–0 drubbing of the Brantford Galaxy.
On 15 March 2013 it was announced that DeFreitas had signed with FK Dainava Alytus playing in the Lithuanian top division. After five matches, DeFreitas left the club in August 2013 because of a breach in his contract by the club of unpaid salaries to the player.
DeFreitas has long been involved with the Trinidad and Tobago national youth teams. He was selected on the final squad for the under-17 National team. In addition, he was invited to train with the under-20, under-21 and under-23 teams but unfortunately did not secure a spot on any of the final team rosters. In 2006, he also trained with a large pool of hopeful Trinidadians at the Blackbaud Stadium, who were all vying for a spot on the Trinidad and Tobago senior national team before the 2006 World Cup.
- Atlantic Sun Conference All-Freshman Team: 2007
- Atlantic Sun Conference Second All-Star Team: 2007
- Atlantic Sun Conference Freshman of the Year: 2007
- Atlantic Coast Conference All-Star Team: 2008
- Canadian Soccer League Rookie of the Year: 2011
- 25 Akil DeFreitas. "Player Bio: Akil DeFreitas – NC State University Official Athletic Site". Gopack.com. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "News". capitalcityfc.com. 20 May 2011. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "Team Stats". capitalcityfc.com. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "News". capitalcityfc.com. Retrieved 12 March 2012.