Akinyelure Patrick Ayo
|Patrick Ayo Akinyelure|
|Preceded by||Gbenga Ogunniya|
|Political party||Labour party (LP)|
Akinyelure Patrick Ayo is an approved tax practitioner of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria. He was Group Executive Chairman of the Allover Group, a microfinance lender, from 1994 to 2010. In January 2011 he denied that officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had investigated him over the withdrawal of the bank's licence by the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Patrick Ayo Akinyelure was Labour party candidate for the Ondo South Senatorial seat in April 2007. In July 2008 an Election Petition Tribunal in Akure nullified the election of Senator Gbenga Ogunniya of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) based on Akinyelure's petition. Ogunniya succeeded in appealing this decision. In the 9 April 2011 elections, Akinyelure ran again and this time was elected with 113,292 votes, ahead of Gbenga Ogunniya of the PDP with 41,783 votes.
- "Collated Senate results". Independent National Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Approved Tax Practitioners" (PDF). Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Yinka Oladoyinbo. "Bank boss denies being investigated by EFCC". Gbooza. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- James Sowole (2 July 2008). "Tribunal Sacks Senator Ogunniya". ThisDay. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Ogunniya's Victory: The Labourers have laboured in vain". The Lens. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-23.