Akite Agnes in March 2015
|Birth name||Akite Agnes Opio|
|Born||19 March 1983|
|Alma mater||Makerere University|
(Bachelor of Tourism)
|Genres||observational comedy, self-depreciation|
|Subject(s)||Every day life, relationships|
Akite Agnes (born 19 March 1983) is a Ugandan stand up comedienne, actress, events MC and Philanthropist. She is popularly known for her role as Arach in The Hostel TV Series where she acted as Odoch's girlfriend and owner of a shop. She has also acted in Pearl Magic's Girl From Mparo as Mama Brian, the nosy neighbour. Her style of comedy reflects on the daily issues that face people as they go about their lives.
Early life and education
Akite Agnes was born on 19 March 1983 in Kampala, Uganda to Anthony Opio, an auditor and Hellen Opio. She is the fifth born of nine children. She grew up in Kitintale and later on Mutungo, which are suburbs of Kampala. She was raised a Catholic. She went to St. Kizito Primary School, Bugolobi for her primary, where she did her Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE) from and then later on Our lady of Good Counsel, Gayaza where she did her secondary education. She did her Uganda Certificate Examinations (UCE) from Naalya SS, Namugongo. She later went for her A levels in St. Lawrence Creamland Campus where she did her UACE. She joined Makerere University in 2003 where she pursued and completed a Bachelors of Arts in Tourism 
In 2009, Akite was approached by Anne Kansiime to act in a new TV comedy series called The Hostel after her friend, Pamela had turned it down. She got the part as Arach, without auditioning. That was the beginning of her acting career. The Hostel was a Series that was very popular in Uganda, initially shown on NTV and later on, was also shown on DSTV. She acted for three seasons and later left the set in 2012 as she was preparing to give birth to her second born, Brianna.
In 2014 she debuted her stand up comedy act with a group called The Punchliners after being persuaded by Anne Kansiime and Daniel Omara to try out Stand-up comedy. She later joined Comedy Files. In 2015 she was part of the Queens of Comedy Uganda vs Kings of Comedy Rwanda in Kigali.
When the contract with Comedy Files ended, she started doing solo acts on different comedy platforms including Rock Comedy, Comedy Store Ug, hosted by Alex Muhangi and Ug Pineapple Comedy Tour. On her return to Comedy Stores Ug, she impressed the crowd. The clip for that show went viral on WhatsApp where she was heaped with praise. She attributes the popularity of that clip to Comedy Store which have a vibrant social media and Kakensa Media who have a huge following on Facebook. In 2016 she featured in Girl From Mparo as Mama Brian the nosy neighbour, a series that is being aired on UBC. and DSTV's Pearl Magic. In 2018, she appeared in the Kampala Comedy Festival, hosted by Okello Okello, another renowned comedian in Uganda. She was part of the Group from Comedy Store Ug that went to Mbarara for its maiden show outside Kampala. She has been a permanent member of the Ug Pineapple comedy tour, which has taken her to different parts of the country like Mbale, Gulu and Fort Portal Jinja and Mbarara.
She featured for the first time in the fourth episode of Africa Laughs on the 8th October 2018 at Kampala Serena Hotel. , hosted by Patrick Salvador Idringi and featuring other comedians like Basketmouth, Alfred Kainga, Eddie Kadi, Mc Jesse, Professor Haimo, Arthur Nkusi, and other talented Ugandan Comedians.
In December 2018, she resumed acting, this time with Fun Factory in a TV series called Mizigo Express as Sam's girlfriend. In March 2019,she returned to Kigali as part of the Seka Fest which featured comedians from Uganda, Kenya and Nigeria. In April 2019, Agnes featured on The Comedian's OutLuke Podcast presented by Stand-up Comedian Luke Anthony as part of a Uganda Special. In July 2019, she was part of the Ugandan comedians who performed in the Laugh Festival in Nairobi, Kenya and in September 2019, performed at the Uganda North America Association Convention in Chicago.
In between her acting and stand up comedy, she finds time to do events emceeing.
Akite created and hosted the Arise Woman! Comedy Jam on International Women's Day. In celebration of the day, the show comprised an all female cast. These included Nancy Kobusheshe, Maggie the Bwaiserian, Rich Mouth, Dora Nakagga, Leila Kachapizo and the Fun Factory ladies. Part of the proceeds of the show are to be given to charity. The is held yearly on 8 March.
Style of comedy
Akite's style of stand-up is observational comedy where she makes one see the funny side the day-to-day life of the common man. On occasions, she has the good nature to have a go at herself and her attributes in a self-depreciation. Akite's jokes are based on everyday life and experiences. It is from such that she picks up a line or two, builds up on them, and eventually crafts something funny out of it. However she does not do Political jokes
Akite is the fifth born of a family of two brothers, Richard and Emmanuel; and six sisters, Cathy, Grace, Mary, Susan, Harriet and Doreen. Akite is a mother to two children, Noel, 13 and Brianna, 5. She is in a relationship with Brian Makalama. She is a devout Catholic who has been worshiping at Our Lady of Africa Church, Mbuya since she was a little girl.
Akite is the co-founder and CEO of Arise Woman Foundation, which aims to advocate for and empower women and youth. Proceeds from the Arise Women! Comedy Jam were donated to Home of Hope, Jinja.
|2009–2012||The Hostel||Arach||NTV Uganda, DSTV – Africa Magic Entertainment, ZUKU TV and NTV KENYA|
|2016||Girl from Mparo||Mama Brian||UBC, DStv - Pearl Magic|
|2018–present||Mizigo Express||Sam's girlfriend||DSTV – Pearl Magic|
- "Comedienne Agnes Akite's complicated path to stardom". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- Anthony, Luke (7 April 2019). "Agnes Akite - Uganda Special". The Comedian's OutLuke Podcast (Podcast). Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Katongole, George (16 February 2019). "Comedienne Agnes Akite's complicated path to stardom". Daily Monitor.
- Ampurire, Paul (20 July 2018). "Comedienne Agned Arach Impresses Revellers on Comedy Store". Soft Power News. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Zamboki, Lincoln (2018-08-06). "Comedienne Agnes AKite heaped with praise by fans after her clip went viral". MBU. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "Girl From Mparo". Uganda Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Atungisa, Don (2 July 2018). "PHOTOS: How it Went Down at the Inaugural Kampala Comedy Festival — MTN Pulse". pulse.mtn.co.ug. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- Nakassanje, Winnie (5 July 2018). "The First Ever Kampala Comedy Festival Reveals New Internationals". The Kampala Sun. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Oneal, Nicholas (1 August 2018). "Kampala Comedians Thrill Mbale Residents". New Vision. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Emorut, Brian (19 September 2018). "Gulu Comedy Fans Embrace Ug Pineapple". Guide 2 Uganda. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Shantel, Denzel (21 November 2018). "Jinja Comedy Fans Get a Taste of The New Ug Pineapple". Showbiz Uganda.
- Abenaitwe, Cliff (21 November 2018). "Fanfare at the Mbarara Ug Pineapple Comedy Tour". Mbarara News.
- Larubi, Robert (9 October 2018). "Africa Laughs Season 4 Drama and Humour Leaves Revellers in Tears". Soft Power News.
- "Africa Laughs Season 4 Leaves Uganda Dying With Laughter". Ghafla. 10 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Matooke, Republic (9 October 2018). "Drama and Rib Cracking Laughter Light Up Africa Laughs Season 4". Matooke Republic. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Batte, Edgar. R (1 April 2019). "Ugandan comedians shine at Kigali's Seka fest". Sqoop. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- Nkurunzinza, James Peter (2019-07-25). "Rwandan comedian to perform at the 'Laugh Festival' in Nairobi | The New Times | Rwanda". The New Times. Archived from the original on 25 July 2019. Retrieved 2019-10-26.
- Zuri, Admin (24 July 2019). "International Laugh Festival (3rd Edition)". Zuri News. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Ngigi, Elizabeth (26 July 2019). "Laugh Festival Back for Round 3". The Star. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Kagonye, Fredrick (20 July 2019). "Wamlambez Dominates Laugh Festival". Standard Digital. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Kulanyi, Rachael (11 March 2019). "Female comedians celebrate Women's day in a comedy show dubbed 'Arise Woman Comedy Jam". Matooke Republic. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- Emuk, Benjamen (9 March 2019). "Ugandan Female Comics Dedicate 'Arise Woman Comedy Jam' Show To Charity". Chimp Reports. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- Nantaba, Agnes (October 19, 2018). "Agnes Akite aka Arach on Funny Ugandans". Uganda News Archive.
- Daheley, Tina. "Comedy That Changes Minds". BBC World Service - The Cultural Frontline. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Baike, Prisca. "Comedian Agnes Akite has Bone to Pick with Minister Lokodo". The Observer. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
Akite Agnes on Facebook
Akite Agnes on Instagram
Akite Agnes on Twitter