अक्कलकोट राज्य / ಅಕ್ಕಲಕೋಟ್ ಸಂಸ್ಥಾನ
|Princely State of British India|
|Imperial Gazetteer of India|
|•||Accession to the Union of India||1948|
|•||1901||1,290 km2 (498 sq mi)|
|Density||63.6 /km2 (164.7 /sq mi)|
|Today part of||Maharashtra, India|
Akkalkot State during the British Raj, was a Maratha princely state ruled by the Bhonsle dynasty. The non-salute state came under the Deccan States Agency and was bordered by Hyderabad State and the Bombay Presidency.
The area of the state was 1,290 square kilometres (500 sq mi); its population in 1901 was 82,047, while the population of Akkalkot town itself was 8,348 in that year. In 1911, the state enjoyed a revenue estimated at Rs.26,586/- and paid a tribute to the British Raj of Rs.1,000/-.
The ruling dynasty were descendents of Ranoji Lokhande, who was adopted by Chhattrapati Shahu, grandson of Shivaji, around the year 1708. Upon his adoption, Ranoji assumed the name 'Fatehsinh Bhonsle' and received in appenage the town of Akkalkot and surrounding areas. These estates remained a fief within the state of Satara until 1848, when the rulers of Satara (Chhatrapati Sambhaji designated successors) were deposed by the British. Akkalkot then became one of several vassals of Satara to be recognised as separate princely states by the British Raj. Upon the termination of British rule in India in 1947, Akkalkot state acceded unto the Dominion of India, and was later merged with Bombay Province. The political history of the state is remarkable in having been altogether free of major incident. However, given their stability and association with the dynasty of Shivaji, the family came to be linked by marriage to nearly every major Maratha ruling family in India.
The ruling chiefs of Akkalkot were:
- 1707-1760 Fatehsinh I Raje Bhosle (born Ranoji Lokhande)
- 1760-1789 Shahaji I (Bala Sahib) Raje Bhosle
- 1789-1822 Fatehsinh II (Appa Sahib) Raje Bhosle
- 1822-1823 Maloji I (Baba Sahib) Raje Bhosle
- 1823-1857 Shahaji II (Appa Sahib) Raje Bhosle
- 1857-1870 Maloji II (Buwa Sahib) Raje Bhosle
- 1870-1896 Shahaji III (Baba Sahib) Raje Bhosle
- 1896-1923 Cpt. Fatehsinhrao III Raje Bhosle
- 1923-1952 Vijayasinhrao Fatehsinhrao III Raje Bhosle
- 1952-1965 Jayasinhrao Fatehsinhrao III Raje Bhosle
- 1965- Present Sanyuktaraje Jaysinhrao Bhosle and Sunitaraje Jaysinhrao Bhosle
- History of Akkalkot State at www.akkalkothistoryandarmourymuseum.in
- Malleson, G. B.: An historical sketch of the native states of India, London 1875, Reprint Delhi 1984