Akola Junction railway station
|Indian Railway Junction Station|
Akola - Kacheguda Intercity Express heading towards Akola
|Location||Akola, Maharashtra, 444001
|Elevation||284 metres (932 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Indian Railway|
Akola – Secunderabad line
|Structure type||At ground|
|Division(s)||Bhusawal railway division|
|Previous names||Great Indian Peninsula Railway|
Akola Junction serves Akola in Akola district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is an important junction station on the Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line. There is a broad gauge line to Secunderabad railway station and the metre gauge Akola-Ratlam line is under gauge conversion.
The first train in India travelled from Mumbai to Thane on 16 April 1853. By May, 1854, Great Indian Peninsula Railway's Bombay-Thane line was extended to Kalyan. Bhusawal railway station was set up in 1860 and in 1867 the GIPR branch line was extended to Nagpur.
The railways in the Bhusawal area were electrified in 1989–90.
There earlier existed a 1,469 kilometres (913 mi) long metre gauge line from Jaipur to Secunderabad via Akola. Out of this Jaipur to Indore and the Secunderabad-Purna-Akola sections have already been converted to broad gauge and conversion of the Ratlam-Akola section was approved for conversion in 2008 work until Mhow has been completed and conversion of.Mhow-Khandwa already began.
Amenities at Akola railway station include: computerized reservation office, subscriber trunk dialling/public call office booth, waiting room, retiring room, vegetarian and non-vegetarian refreshments, and book stall.
- Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1832–1865). "IR History: Early Days – I". IRFCA. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Gauge conversion of Ratlam-Khandwa-Mhow-Akola". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Nasik to Akola trains". makemytrip. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Akola Junction railway station". www.triposo.com. Retrieved 2017-07-05.
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|Central Railway zone|
|Terminus||Central Railway zone
|Terminus||Central Railway zone|