|Elevation||593 m (1,946 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Coastline||0 kilometres (0 mi)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Shirdi|
Akole is a city and taluka in Akole tehsil of Ahmednagar district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Akole is situated surrounded with the Sahyadri mountains of Western Ghats in India. Akole is home to several historical sites notifying its contribution in history and culture of Maharashtra.
Points of interest
River and irrigational projects
- Pravara River – one of the major tributaries of Godavari River with historical and mythological references.
- Wilson Dam also known as Bhandardara Dam – Built in 1910 at about 150 metres (490 ft) above sea level.
- Umbrella Falls – waterfalls in the shape of an umbrella
- Randha Falls – a 45 metres (148 ft) high waterfall, located about 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) from Wilson Dam. The flowing water is converted into hydroelectricity.A famous tourist spot at Bhandardara, the falls have been a backdrop in shooting of Bollywood films such as Maine Pyaar Kiya and Raju Chacha.
- Nilwande Dam – another Dam built on the Pravara River for hydro-electricity generation.
- Kalsubai – Highest Peak in Maharashtra 1,646 metres (5,400 ft)
- Ghatghar – is a famous viewpoints which is situated at 22 kilometres (14 mi) from Bhandardara and offers excellent views of the Sahyadri range and is home to the 1st project of Udanchan Hydro-power Project of capacity 250 MW.
- Kokan Kada near Harishchandragad- is a flat, sharp and deep edge of mountains
Agasti Rishi Ashram is situated on the banks of Pravara River. This legendary place finds mention in the Ramayana. It is believed that Lord Ram, Lakshman and Sita visited Sage Agastya here. The Rishi had then offered Lord Ram a miraculous arrow which he used to kill Ravan.
Amruteshwar Temple is located at the start of the Ratanwadi village. It is considered to be over 1,200 year old dedicated to Lord Shiva as the main deity. The Amruteshwar Temple has been constructed in Hemadpanthi architectural style with beautiful rock carvings on the main shrine.
The Jagdamba Temple is situated at Tahakari village. Another Hemadpanthi temple decorated with beautiful sculpture of Apsaras. This temple is similar in style to the Khajuraho temples. The main deity of Jagadmba is made up of wood. It is one of the most famous temple in the Ahmednagar District of Maharashtra. The Temple is situated on the bank of river Aadhala. The festival of Jagdamba Mata organized by local people can be seen two times in a year: 1) Chaitra Pournima- two days Yatra festival, on this occasion many people from nearby villages, district and state came to take Darshan of Jagdamba. 2) Navratri- 9 nights festival of Jagdamba Mata, on this occasion continuous worship of Goddess Jagdamba performed by local people can be seen. Detail information about Jagdamba Temple Tahakari can be seen at the website www.jagdambatahakari.com.
The Patta Fort is also known as Vishramgad. The Kalseshwar Temple in Kalas Bk near Akole is a beautiful Temple on a mountain surrounded by the Pravara River. Harishchandragad is a point to enjoy trekking. The Fort of Ratangad is one of Shivaji's favorite forts. There is a scenic site near Koltembhe (a small village at the foot hills of Ghanchakkar peak). And Deothan is a scenic village with a number of Temples located 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Akole.