Akon Lighting Africa
|Akon Lighting Africa|
|Mission statement||Providing Africans with access to electricity|
|Type of project||Non Commercial|
|Founder||Akon, Samba Bathily, Thione Niang|
|Country||United States of America|
|Funding||China Jiangsu International Economic And Technical Cooperation Group |
Akon Lighting Africa is a project started in 2014 by former music artist Akon with Samba Bathily and Thione Niang which aims to provide electricity by solar energy in Africa. Their initial technique is to install Solar street lights and small energy systems.
According to Akon, he and Thione Niang grew up in Kaolack Region, Senegal in a town without electricity. In 2013 both decided to help drive Africa’s transformation. Samba Bathily joined them and provided targeted solutions through his company, Solektra INT, which supplies solar-powered equipment. By combining their networks, they launched the project in February 2014. The projects now provides electricity in 14 African countries and employs over 5,000 mainly young people who install and maintain solar equipment.
The group announced the launch of the solar academy in Bamako, Mali at the second United Nations Sustainable Energy for All Forum, in New York City. Solar Academy will teach students about using solar panels by which they can light Africa. Samba Bathily told in an interview: "We have the sun and innovative technologies to bring electricity to homes and communities. We now need to consolidate African expertise and that is our objective.".
- "Singer Akon's Unconventional Keys to Social Investing in Africa - Global Atlanta". Global Atlanta. 2015-06-01. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- Insight, News. "Akon unveils new solar campaign for Africa". Archived from the original on 2015-07-05.
- "Akon lights Africa for better future". enca.
- "Musician Akon works to light up Africa". CNN.
- "Inside Akon Lighting Africa". Devex. 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Three men backing one mission: widening the access to electricity".
- "Akon talks to Folly Bah Thibault". Al Jazeera America.
- "Akon to light up Africa". GhanaWeb. Archived from the original on 2015-06-12.
- "Akon Lighting Africa Moves Towards Bringing Electricity To 600M People". AFK Insider.
- "Akon creates institution to educate solar engineers in Africa". mnn.