This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An akshauhini (Sanskrit: अक्षौहिणी akṣauhiṇī) is described in the Mahabharata as a battle formation consisting of 21,870 chariots (Sanskrit ratha); 21,870 elephants (Sanskrit gaja); 65,610 horses (Sanskrit turaga) and 109,350 infantry (Sanskrit pada sainyam) as per the Mahabharata (Adi Parva 2.15-23). (thus the total number of humans, warriors in akshauhini is equal to 218,700). The ratio is 1 chariot : 1 elephant : 3 cavalry : 5 infantry soldiers. In each of these large number groups (65,610, etc.), the digits add up to 18.
It is said that the size of Pandavas‘ army in the Kurukshetra war was 7 akshauhinis, and those of Kauravas 11 akshauhinis.
The count is arrived as follows:
One elephant (Gaja), one chariot (Ratha), three horses (Ashwa) and five foot soldiers (Padhata) form a Patti;
Three Pattis form a Sena-Mukha;
Three Sena-Mukhas make a Gulma;
Three Gulmas a Gana;
Three Ganas a Vahini;
Three Vahinis a Pruthana;
Three Pruthanas a Chamu;
Three Chamus an Anikini;
Ten Anikinis form an Akshauhini. Thus an Akshauhini, by calculation, contains 21,870 elephants, 21,870 chariots, 65,610 Horses, and 109,350 foot soldiers.
- Bhagadatta the veteran - 1 Akshauhini
- Shalya, king of Madra - 1 Akshauhini
- Karna, king of Anga - 1 Akshauhini
- Kritavarma (Krishna's Narayani sena of Yadavas) - 1 Akshauhini
- Jayadratha (Saindhava) - 1 Akshauhini
- Sudakshina, king of Kambhoja - 1 Akshauhini (has Yavanas & Sakas in his troops)
- Bahlika, King of Bahlika Kingdom - 1 Akshauhini
- Kalinga Forces - 1 Akshauhini
- Shakuni of Gandhara - 1 Akshauhini
- Susharma of Trigarta - 1 Akshauhini
- Kurus and other Allies - 1 Akshauhini
Pandava Army: is a coalition of 7 Akshauhinis, primarily the Panchala and Matsya forces, the Rakshasa forces of Bhima's son, and Vrishni-Yadava heroes.
Pandava Army and their Allies:
- Satyaki of the Vrishni clan - 1 Akshauhini
- Kuntibhoja - 1 Akshauhini
- Dhrishtaketu, king of Chedis - 1 Akshauhini
- Sahadeva, son of Jarasandha - 1 Akshauhini (from Magadha)
- Drupada with his sons - 1 Akshauhini
- Virata the king of Matsya - 1 Akshauhini
- Ghatotkatch and other allies - 1 Akshauhini