Akshay Nanavati with Sen. John McCain in Iraq in 2007.
October 15, 1984|
Bombay, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Speaker, author, runner|
Akshay Nanavati (born October 15, 1984) is a United States Marine Corps veteran, speaker, entrepreneur, ultra runner and author of Fearvana. He served in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom and was later diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder.
Early life and career
Akshay Nanavati was born in Bombay, India on October 15, 1984. He has also lived in Bangalore, Singapore, Austin and Eden Prairie. He then did his Bachelors of Arts in History at Southwestern University. During this time he joined the United States Marine Corps after watching Black Hawk Down to overcome drug addiction despite two doctors suggesting boot camp could kill him because of a blood disorder. and was then sent to Haditha, Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. He was an infantry non-commissioned officer, where one of his jobs was to walk in front of vehicles to find improvised explosive device and as communications liaison. He later did his Masters of Arts in journalism from Syracuse University's S. I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. He eventually ended his tenure as a sergeant before graduating. He was also diagnosed by the Department of Veterans Affairs with post traumatic stress disorder and survivors guilt. which led him to alcoholism and depression before realizing he was on the brink of suicide that led him to research neuroscience, psychology and spirituality. He currently lives in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, USA.
While at base in Iraq, he started to run to cope with stress of war. He then also decided to trek across every country in the world as a self-challenge. In addition to seeking to run across the world, he also discovered skydiving, mountain biking, scuba diving, rock climbing and ice climbing as "anything that forced me to face my fears." He is also a public speaker.
As a result of his research, he wrote Fearvana which is, in his words, about the "revolutionary science of how turn fear into health, wealth and happiness." The neuroscience, psychology and spirituality:
Fearvana teaches the science of how to transform all your seemingly negative emotions into health, wealth and happiness. Fearvana’s revolutionary approach shatters conventional wisdom, giving you the tools to leverage your fear, stress and anxiety to accomplish anything you set your mind to.
- Nanavati, Akshay. 2017. Fearvana: The Revolutionary Science of How to Turn Fear into Health, Wealth and Happiness. Morgan James Publishing.
- "About Us". Fearvana. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Adventure Enthusiast". Southwestern University. 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "The Marine, the Dalai Lama, Overcoming PTSD, and Overcoming Fear". Inc.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "PTSD: A Marine Corps Veteran's Battle and Victory". Huffingtonpost.com. 2017-12-06. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Three Types Of Employee Recognition That Backfire (And One That Doesn'". Fastcompany.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Why you should never sleep on long flights, travel tips from a Marine". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "How to survive a marathon flight". The Washington Post. 2017-09-07. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- Akshay Nanavati. "6 Lessons This Marine Veteran Learned Overcoming PTSD, Alcoholism and Suicidal Thoughts to Build a Successful Business". Entrepreneur.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Wounded Warriors Using Entrepreneurship To Combat Military Injuries & Retirement". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- Cerasaro, Ashley J. (2012-01-16). "Akshay Nanavati Attemps A 342-Mile Trek on Skis Acroos Greenland's Ice Cap". Njmonthly.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "7 Ways That Running Makes You a Better Person". Runnersworld.com. 2016-11-28. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Ex-Marine plans to beat PTSD by trekking every country". Edition.cnn.com. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- 8 min read. "Akshay Nanavati - Author Biography". Entrepreneur.com. Retrieved 2018-09-19.
- "FEARVANA: The Revolutionary Science of How to Turn Fear into Health, Wealth and Happiness: Akshay Nanavati: 9781630476052: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2018-09-14.