Al-Ahly SC (Benghazi)
Al-Ahly Sports Cultural & Social Club|
النادي الأهلي الرياضي الثقافي الاجتماعي
|Nickname(s)||The long journey (المشوار الطويل)|
|Ground||March 28 Stadium, Benghazi|
|League||Libyan Premier League|
Al-Ahly Sports Cultural & Social Club (Arabic: النادي الأهلي الرياضي الثقافي الاجتماعي) known as Al-Ahly is a Libyan Sports club based in Benghazi, Libya. Al-Ahly SC has its roots in a political party, the Omar al Mukhtar society.
Al-Ahly SC Libya was made a professional football club in 1947, although they had existed years before then. Al Ahly is the most supported club in Benghazi and is famous in Libya for its passionate, loyal and sometimes violent crowds, who stood by the club through frustrating times.
In 2000, the club's stadium was demolished by the Libyan government, supposedly destroying records, trophies and medals of the club. The demolition was allegedly carried out in response to Al-Ahly fans insulting Saadi Gaddafi by dressing a donkey in a shirt baring his squad number, but other sources pointed to the burning a few days before of the Libyan Football Federation offices in Benghazi by angry Al-Ahly fans as the matter. The club was then given an indefinite ban which lasted until 2005. Saadi Gadafi had denied all the allegations.
The club has been given 77 acres (310,000 m2) of land for a new ground by the Libyan Jamahiriya government, although it cannot afford to develop it. Al Ahly is one of the biggest clubs in Libya, and along with Tripoli's clubs, the most prevalent in Libya.
Al-Ahly SC Libya have the second largest football popularity in Libya. It has a big number of fans in Libya. There are about 1 million Al-Ahly SC Libya fans in the country.
The 2013–14 season
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Team captains since founding
- 1969/70, 1971/72, 1974/75, 1991/92
- Runners-up (11): ( 1964/63 - 1969/68 - 1971/70 - 1973/72 - 1976/75 - 1985/84 - 1991/90 - 1996/95 - 1998/97 - 2009/08 - 2010/09 )
- Semi-finals (7): 1963/64, 1975/76, 1982/83, 1984/85, 1985/86, 1990/91, 1995/96,
- Libyan Cup: 4
- 1985, 1988, 1991, 1996
- 1957, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1968, 1970
- 1950, 1951, 1954, 1956
Performance in CAF competitions
- CAF Confederation Cup: 1 appearance
- 2009 – First Round
- CAF Cup: 1 appearance
- 1999 – First Round
- Xan Rice (25 May 2011). "Libya: A donkey taunt, the Gaddafis and a fatal footballing rivalry". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- Col. Muammar al-Gaddafi, His Son and the Politics of Libyan Soccer Bleacher Report, 23 February 2011
- Ahly squad at HTCI.ly (in Arabic)