Al-Ahsa International Airport
|Al-Ahsa International Airport
مطار الأحساء الدولي
|IATA: HOF – ICAO: OEAH|
|Elevation AMSL||588 ft / 179 m|
Airlines and destinations
Al-Ahsa airport has completed the process to acquire the status of international airport. International flights are now taking off from Al-Ahsa (including: Flydubai, Air Arabia, Qatar Airways). Two important features for an international airport are now almost complete, sources told Arab News. The Directorate General of Passports has approved hiring additional staff. A process is under way to link the computer systems of the National Information Center (NIC) with the immigration counters of Al-Ahsa airport. Sources said that customs authorities have almost completed their required formalities.
Khalid Al-Khaibary, general manager of the Media section of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA), told to Arab News “most formalities have been completed. We are awaiting a nod from the tripartite committee to start international flights.” He declined to specify a time frame.
Al-Ahsa is situated at a strategically important location. Its proximity to Qatar and Bahrain on one side and Dubai on the other side, makes Al-Ahsa an ideal place to serve as an international airport. Many Saudi citizens shuttle regularly between neighboring Qatar and Bahrain and they demand semi international connectivity. Al-Ahsa is also close to the world’s largest conventional oilfield, Ghawar. Employees of Aramco depend on Al-Ahsa airport for their transportation needs.
Nearly 50 percent of passengers that use Dammam’s King Fahd International Airport and 17 percent of Bahrain Airport users hail from Al-Ahsa area, in addition to significant clientele of Qatar Airways. Currently, Saudi Arabian Airlines operates only two flights a week to Riyadh and Jeddah in low season and four flights during summer and holiday season. GACA formally approved the airport’s international status in 2011. The airport is expected to grow by 300,000 passengers per annum between 2015 and 2020, a GACA study predicted. Around 300,000 expatriate workers live in the area.
- Airport information for OEAH from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for HOF at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- "IATA Airport Code Search (HOF – City: Hofuf, Airport: Al-Ahsa)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- International flights soon from Al-Ahsa airport Arab News 16 September 2013
- "flydubai adds Hofuf to KSa network" (Press release). flydubai. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
Media related to Al-Ahsa Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Aeronautical chart for OEAH at SkyVector
- Current weather for OEAH at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for HOF at Aviation Safety Network