|Other names||Bursting Apart, The Cleaving Asunder, The Shattering, The Splitting, The Cataclysm|
|No. of verses||19|
|No. of words||81|
|No. of letters||333|
Sūrat al-Infiṭār (Arabic: سورة الانفطار, “The Cleaving”, “Bursting Apart”) is the 82nd sura of the Qur'an with 19 ayat. The chapter is named ‘Al-Infitar’ because of the occurrence of the word ‘unfatarat’, in the first verse of this chapter. Infitar means ‘split asunder’. This word, ‘Unfatarat’ is used in this chapter in order to describe the splitting the sky on the day of Judgment. This chapter (Al-Infitar), along with Chapter At-Takwir and Al-Inshiqaq provide exhaustive description about ‘Day of Judgment’.
The first and foremost exegesis/tafsir of the Qur'an is found in hadith of prophet Muhammad. Although scholars including ibn Taymiyyah claim that Muhammad has commented on the whole of the Qur'an, others including Ghazali cite the limited amount of narratives, thus indicating that he has commented only on a portion of the Qur'an. Ḥadīth (حديث) is literally "speech" or "report", that is a recorded saying or tradition of Muhammad validated by isnad; with Sirah Rasul Allah these comprise the sunnah and reveal shariah. According to Aishah, the life of Prophet Muhammad was practical implementation of Qur'an. Therefore, mention in hadith elevates the importance of the pertinent surah from a certain perspective.
- Imam Ahmad recorded from Ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah said: “Whoever wishes to look at the Day of Resurrection, as if he is seeing it with this eye, then let him recite: ‘When the sun Kuwwirat’(At-Takwir) and ‘When the heaven is cleft sunder (Al-Infitar) and ‘When the heaven is split asunder.(Al-Inshiqaq)’”
- It was narrated that Jabir said: "Muadh stood up and prayed Isha', and made it lengthy. The Prophet (ﷺ) said: 'Do you want to cause hardship to the people, O Mu'adh; do you want to cause hardship to the people O Mu'adh? Why didn't you recite 'Glorify the Name of your Lord Most High'(Al-Ala) or Ad-Dhuha or; 'When the heaven is cleft asunder?(Al-Infitar)"
- Şatibi, El-muvafakat
- Muhsin Demirci, Tefsir Usulü, 120
- Grade : Sahih (Al-Albani) صحيح (الألباني) حكم : Reference : Sunan Abu Dawud 1342 In-book reference : Book 5, Hadith 93 English translation : Book 5, Hadith 1337
- Al-Adab Al-Mufrad » Dealings with people and good character – كتاب English reference : Book 14, Hadith 308 Arabic reference : Book 1, Hadith 308
- Sahih Al- Jami' AI-Saghir, No.4811
- Sunan Ibn Majah 2333 In-book reference : Book 13, Hadith 26 English translation : Vol. 3, Book 13, Hadith 2333
- Grade : Sahih (Darussalam) Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 1601 In-book reference : Book 20, Hadith 4 English translation : Vol. 2, Book 20, Hadith 1602
- Jami` at-Tirmidhi Grade : Hasan (Darussalam) English reference : Vol. 5, Book 44, Hadith 3333 Arabic reference : Book 47, Hadith 3653
- This is mentioned in Tafsir ibn kathir, Likewise, At-Tirmidhi has also recorded this Hadith.
- (Jami` at-Tirmidhi, Tafsir: 81- Ahmad: 2/27, 36,100-5/452)
- Sunan an-Nasa'i 997 In-book reference : Book 11, Hadith 122 English translation : Vol. 2, Book 11, Hadith 998
- Sunan Ibn Majah English reference : Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 836 Arabic reference : Book 5, Hadith 885