al-Judeira

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Al-Judeira
Other transcription(s)
 • Arabicجديره
al-Judeira in the front of the picture.
al-Judeira in the front of the picture.
Al-Judeira is located in the Palestinian territories
Al-Judeira
Al-Judeira
Location of Al-Judeira within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°51′30″N 35°11′52″E / 31.85833°N 35.19778°E / 31.85833; 35.19778Coordinates: 31°51′30″N 35°11′52″E / 31.85833°N 35.19778°E / 31.85833; 35.19778
Palestine grid168/140
GovernorateJerusalem
Government
 • TypeVillage council
Population
(2006)
 • Jurisdiction2,121
Name meaningThe sheep-fold[1]

al-Judeira (Arabic: جديره‎) is a Palestinian village in the Jerusalem Governorate in the central West Bank.

According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the town had a population of 2,121 in 2006.[2]

Location[edit]

The barrier in northern Jerusalem, which confines al-Juderia to an enclave under Israeli control.

Al Judeira is located (horizontally) 9.3 kilometers (5.8 mi) north-west of Jerusalem. It has Kalandia to the east, Rafat to the north, Al Jib to the west, and Bir Nabala to the south.[3]

History[edit]

Ottoman era[edit]

In the Ottoman census of the 1500s, Jadira was noted as a village located in the nahiya of Jerusalem.[4]

In 1838 el-Jedireh was noted as a Muslim village, located north of Jerusalem.[5][6]

In 1863 Guérin described it as a small village, with a mosque consecrated to a Sheikh Yassin. In the courtyard in front of this sanctuary, he noticed what was possibly an old Corinthian capital, which had been made into a mortar, where the villagers pounded coffee.[7] An Ottoman village list from about 1870 found that the village had a population of 40, in a total of 13 houses, though the population count included men, only. It was also noted that it was located east of Al Jib.[8][9]

In 1883, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described it as "a small village on a slope, surrounded by figs and olives, and with rock-cut tombs to the north."[10]

British Mandate era[edit]

In the 1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Ijdireh had a population of 122, all Muslims,[11] increasing in the 1931 census to 139 Muslim inhabitants, in 31 inhabited houses.[12]

In the 1945 statistics Judeira had a population of 190 Muslims,[13] with 2,044 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey.[14] Of this, 353 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 1,314 used for cereals,[15] while 7 dunams were built-up land.[16]

Jordanian era[edit]

In the wake of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, and after the 1949 Armistice Agreements, al-Judeira came under Jordanian rule.

The Jordanian census of 1961 found 328 inhabitants in Judeira.[17]

Post-1967[edit]

After the Six-Day War in 1967, al-Judeira has been under Israeli occupation.

After the 1995 accords, 25.4% of the village land is defined as being in Area B, while the remaining 74.6% is Area C.[18]

In 2005, Israel started the construction of a separation barrier around al-Judeira, Al Jib, Bir Nabala, Beit Hanina al-Balad and Kalandiya.[19] The wall was built on Palestinian land seized by Military Orders.[20] The wall completely surrounds the villages, forming an enclave.[21]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Palmer, 1881, p. 296
  2. ^ Projected Mid -Year Population for Jerusalem Governorate by Locality 2004- 2006 Archived 2012-02-07 at the Wayback Machine Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics.
  3. ^ Al Judeira Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 4
  4. ^ Toledano, 1984, p. 294, has Jadira at location 35°11′35″E 31°51′35″N.
  5. ^ Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 122
  6. ^ Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 2, p. 137
  7. ^ Guérin, 1868, p. 392
  8. ^ Socin, 1879, p. 153
  9. ^ Hartmann, 1883, p. 127, noted 17 houses
  10. ^ Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, pp. 9 10
  11. ^ Barron, 1923, Table VII, Sub-district of Jerusalem, p. 15
  12. ^ Mills, 1932, p. 40
  13. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 25
  14. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 57
  15. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 103
  16. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 153
  17. ^ Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 23
  18. ^ Al Judeira Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 17
  19. ^ High Court approves Bir Nabalah enclave. B'Tselem, 26 November 2006
  20. ^ Israel’s Segregation Wall Encircles Three Palestinian Villages in Northwest Jerusalem Archived 2007-06-02 at the Wayback Machine ARIJ, 7 May 2005
  21. ^ "West Bank Closures - Jerusalem" (PDF). United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. March 2004. Retrieved 2007-10-14.

Bibliography[edit]

External links[edit]