Children of Al-Kafrayn, around 1937
|Also spelled||Kafrin, al-|
|Date of depopulation||12–13 April 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
Al-Kafrayn (Arabic: الكفرين) was a Palestinian Arab village in the Haifa Subdistrict. It was depopulated during the 1947–48 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine on 12 April 1948 as part of the Battle of Mishmar HaEmek. It was located 29.5 km southeast of Haifa. The Crusaders referred to al-Kafrayn as Caforana.
In 1945, the village had a population of 920. Today, an Israeli military training camp occupies the area.
- Morris, 2004, p. xviii, village #155. Also gives cause of depopulation
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. (p.42)
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. ("The two villages" p.147)
- Welcome To al-Kafrayn
- Survey of Western Palestine, Map 8: IAA, Wikimedia commons
- al-Kafrayn, from the Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center
- Response to "Chronicles of a Piece of Jewelry" by Eitan Bronstein, Hakkibutz, Feb. 8, 2007, Zochrot
- Tour of Kafrayn, 10.2.07, Zochrot
- Booklet about Kafrayn, downloadable, from Zochrot
|This geography of Palestine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|