|Name meaning||Tell el Khaneizîr, the mound of the swine|
|Also spelled||Arab al Khuneizir|
|Date of depopulation||May 20, 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Influence of nearby town's fall|
|Current localities||Tirat Zvi|
Al-Khunayzir (Arabic: الخنيزر), was a Palestinian Arab village in the District of Baysan. It was depopulated by the Israel Defense Forces during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, on May 20, 1948. It was attacked as part of Operation Gideon.
In 1881, it was named as Tell el Khaneizîr, meaning the mound of the swine.
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the Mandatory Palestine authorities, Kunaizir had a population of 83; all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to 200 Muslims, in a total of 47 houses.
In 1945, the population was 260 Muslims, with a total of 3,107 dunams of land. Of this, 36 dunams were for citrus and bananas, 1,658 for plantations and irrigated land, 256 for cereals, while 34 dunams were non-cultivable land.
1948, and aftermath
In 1992 it was described: "The only remaining landmarks is a cemetery on Tall Abu al-Faraj (199/203), north of the site. To the north and the west of this tell are the springs of 'Uyun Umm al-Faraj and 'Ayn al-Khanazir. Most of the village site and the land around it are covered with palm trees."
- Palmer, 1881, p. 169
- Morris, 2004, p. xvii, village #131. Also gives cause of depopulation
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 6
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 43
- Khalidi, 1992, p. 54
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, p. 31
- Mills, 1932, p. 79
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 85
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 135
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All That Remains:The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.