|Javed Ahmad Ghamidi|
The institute was established by Javed Ahmad Ghamidi, a well-known Pakistani Islamic scholar, who has been inspired by Amin Ahsan Islahi and Hamiduddin Farahi. The basic objective of this institution is facilitation and perpetuation of explanatory and research work on the true understanding of Islam, the publication and mass communication of this understanding through all possible means, and augmentation of people’s knowledge and education through its dissemination.
|Fellows Al-Mawrid||Associate Fellows||Assistant Fellows||Others|
|Javed Ahmed Ghamidi, Abdus Sattar Ghauri, Shehzad Saleem, Asif Iftikhar, Talib Mohsin, Ammar Khan Nasir||Manzoor ul Hassan, Moiz Amjad, Muhammad Rafi Mufti, Sajid Hameed,||Tariq Hashmi||Kaukab Shehzad, Naeem Ahmed Baloch M. Farooq Khan, Jhangeer Hanif, Muhammad Bilal, Khalid Zaheer|
Al-Mawrid is criticized for their controversial stand on various issues. Sometimes they are charged with fueling controversial topics, which do not help in improving Islamic concepts of common people, rather it create differences and gaps in Muslim community (like infamous Hudood Law). Javed Ghamdi is also wrongly referred by some as having involvement in the controversial movie 'Khuda kai liay'. Local and orthodox scholars often reject this school of thought and their ideas and perceive them as creating confusion in the masses about Islam. Some also refer to them as 'clean shave mullas'.
Danish Sara (Pakistan)
The institution publishes two monthly journals. These journals carry advertisements from small merchants, but also from larger businesses.
- Ishraq (Urdu), editor: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi (Fellow Al-Mawrid)
- Renaissance (English), editor: Shehzad Saleem (Associate Fellow Al-Mawrid) - the first Islamic e-periodical
The institution is running its website which is a very useful source of literature on Islam and Muslims. Urdu, English and Arabic resources are available online. The site also has a question-answer service. many other Islamic websites are affiliated to al-Mawrid. Some of these too have question-answer service and are quite popular over the internet.
- javedahmadghamidi.com - (Urdu) (English)
- javedahmadghamidi.com/index.php/videos - audio and Video resources (English)
- Al-Mawrid.org - (Urdu) (English)
- ghamidi.net - (Urdu)
- renaissance.com.pk - (English)
- understanding-islam.org - (English)
- studying-islam.org - (offers online courses) (English)
- serving-humanity.net - (for helping the poor) (English)
- Javed Ahmad Ghamidi's Profile
- John Esposito, The Oxford Dictionary of Islam, pp. 93
- Al-Mawrid Official Website
- Is Javed GHamidi a True Scholar?
- Zaman, Muhammad (1998). "Sectarianism in Pakistan: The Radicalization of Shi'i and Sunni Identities". JSTOR 32 (3): 689–716. JSTOR 313163.
- Ciolek, T. Matthew. The first Islamic e-periodical, Renaissance: A Monthly Islamic Journal, Asian Studies Online - a Timeline of Major Developments, Australian National University
- Al-mawrid.org in Urdu, Arabic and English
- Bibliographic Data: Al-Mawrid, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg
- Bibliographic Data: Understanding-Islam.com, Intute: Arts and Humanity and Intute: Social Sciences, Oxford University
- Associated publisher: Dar-ut-Tazkeer
These websites are not established or owned by Al-Mawrid, but contributed to directly by some of its members.