|Governorate||Dhi Qar Governorate|
Al-Rifai district an Iraqi district located in Dhi Qar Governorate 80 km north of Nasiriyah city and 300 km south of Baghdad city its name attributed to Sheikh Ahmed al-Rifa'i founder of the Rifa'i Sufi order. its seat is the city of al-Rifai. Total population is Arabs, Shias works in agriculture,small business, and governmental jobs.
al-Rifai city built in 1880,in mid 19th century it was point of attraction of merchants from all around Iraq due to the plenty of agricultural especially crops Wheat, barley,dates, and Arabic horses which had been exported to India. At first scattered houses and silos were built on both banks of Al-Gharraf River. Al-Rifai has been upgraded to district in 1928.
Garraf oil field
Garraf oil field located in al-Rafai district roughly 5 km northwest al-Rafai city.It was explored in 1984. The oil field is 17.5 km long and 5.5 km wide and holds between 860 million-1 billion barrels. The yield oil is kind of light oil, its API gravity varies from 15° to 36°.
Garraf oil field was awarded to consortium led by Malaysian petronas with Japanese Jappex as secondary partner in Second licensing round in December 2009. According to the deal the remuneration fee offered was $1.49 and the 'plateau production target' was 150,000 barrels per day.
Sumer university is a Public university located in al Rafai city, found in 2011. It consists of three colleges:college of Agriculture,college of management and economy, and college of basic education.
- "جامعة سومر | نبذة تاريخية عن مدينة الرفاعي". www.uos.edu.iq. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "Petronas taking bids for Garraf oil line in Iraq Arabian Oil and Gas, 11 June 2012.
- "Garraf Iraq Energy, retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Q&A: Garraf Oilfield Director Settar Mahdi Jabara Iraq Oil Report, 14 November 2012.
- "Weatherford Wins $200m Project at Garraf Oil Field Iraq Business News, 20 October 2011.
- "Oil Stampede: Iraq,s 2nd Bid Round Results Wikileaks, 14 December 2009.