Tabaqah, At Tabqah
|Elevation||328 m (1,076 ft)|
|Population (2004 census)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||+3 (UTC)|
Al-Thawrah (Arabic: الثورة aṯ ṯawrah), also known as al-Tabqah (Arabic: الطبقة aṭ ṭabqah, official name before 8 March 1967, Kurdish: Tebqa, Syriac: ܛܒܩܗ), is a city located in Raqqa Governorate (Syria), approximately 55 kilometres (34 mi) west of Raqqa. The name "al-Thawrah" literally means "The Revolution", in reference to the March 8th revolution. The Tabqa Dam, which compounds the Euphrates and creates Lake Assad, was built near al-Thawrah. The city had a population of 69,425 as of the 2004 census.
Syrian Civil War
On November 26, 2012, a main route from Raqqa to Aleppo passing through Al-Thawrah along the Euphrates was reported to be dotted with both regime and rebel checkpoints On February 11, 2013, it was reported that opposition forces took over the city. On 21 November, fierce fighting was reported between government troops and rebels in the town. On 25 November, the rebels were reported to be in control of the town. On 5 January 2014, clashes also were reported in the town of Tabqa in the eastern province of Raqqa, where ISIL forces were most dominant, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR). On 22 March 2017, SOHR reported that an International Coalition airstrike injured and killed more than 40 persons. BBC reported 27 killed and 40 wounded. SDF as well as SOHR announced on 10 May that the alliance had completely captured the town as well as the dam.
According to multiple sources, prior to the civil war, the majority of the city's inhabitants were Sunni Arabs, with a significant Sunni Kurdish minority and a small Assyrian minority of around 1000 people.
- "At Tabqah: Syria " Geographical Names
- Al-Thawrah population[permanent dead link]
- "Syria rebels seize dam". AAP. November 26, 2012. Archived from the original on November 29, 2012. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Rebels take control of military airport in North Syria, NGO says". Now.mmedia.me. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "Fierce Syria clashes on Lebanese border force government to launch tighter border policies". Al Bawaba. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Diaa Hadid (5 January 2014). "Syrian rebels battle Al-Qaeda-linked fighters". The Daily Star.
- "More than 40 casualties, wounded and missing in a new massacre carried out by international coalition’s warplanes in Tabaqa city", syriahr.com, 22 March 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "IS conflict: US airlift backs new assault near Raqqa stronghold", bbc.co.uk, 22 March 2017. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "US-backed Syrian forces 'fully capture' Tabqa from ISIL". Al-Jazeera. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "US-backed forces seize Syria’s Tabqa, dam from ISIS". Agence-France Presse. Al-Arabiya. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "The siege by ISIS on the Kurds of Tabqah". الرقة تذبح بصمت. 2015-12-20. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- Raqqa24 (2016-12-02). "ISIS keeps arresting civilians in Tabqa for being Kurds because for ISIS they have connection to SDF.". @24Raqqa. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- Hamza, Hemze (2016-12-21). "Kurdish Front commander Abu layla asks Kurds from Raqqah&Tabqah to join his unit in 2013.". @Sergermed_. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- "Stranded: the Forgotten Assyrians of Al-Tharwah, Syria". Assyrian International News Agency. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2015.