Al Ain National Museum
مَتْحَف ٱلْعَيْن ٱلْوَطَنِي
Entrance to the main museum's building
|Location||Al Ain, Eastern Region of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, the UAE|
Al Ain National Museum (Arabic: مَتْحَف ٱلْعَيْن ٱلْوَطَنِي, romanized: Matḥaf Al-ʿAyn al-Waṭanī), also known as Al Ain Museum (Arabic: مَتْحَف ٱلْعَيْن, romanized: Matḥaf al-ʿAyn), is a national museum in the city of Al Ain, within the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates.
Description and history
The museum, the oldest in the UAE, is located next to the Eastern Fort (or Sultan Fort). It is on the eastern side of the Al Ain Oasis, the largest oasis in Al Ain. It was built by the former UAE President, Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, to house archaeological finds from the surrounding area, including the Hafit-era 'beehive' tombs near Mezyad. The museum was inaugurated by Sheikh Tahnoun bin Mohammed Al Nahyan, the Ruler's Representative in the Eastern Region, on 2 November 1971.
The museum has two main sections on ethnographic and archaeological aspects of the country, especially around Al Ain. It includes finds from the Bronze Age tombs at the Mezyad and Hili Archaeological Parks on the outskirts of Al Ain.
As of October 2018, there are plans to make restorations to the museum and fort.
- Al Ain Palace Museum
- Cultural policy in Abu Dhabi
- List of cultural property of national significance in the United Arab Emirates
- List of museums in the United Arab Emirates
- "Al Ain National Museum". VisitAbuDhabi.ae. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- Al Ain National Museum, Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture & Heritage, UAE.
- Ghazal, Rym (2011-07-03). "Al Ain's World Heritage tombs can now rest in peace". The National. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- Kazmi, Aftab (2 November 2008). "UAE museum: Al Ain National Museum". Gulf News. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Hili Grand Tomb", Al Ain National Museum, The UAE, archived from the original on 2009-12-03, retrieved 2018-10-26
- "Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed briefed on Al Ain Museum restorations". The National. 2018-10-29. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
|This United Arab Emirates structure article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a museum in Asia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|