This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
14 October 1947|
West Bromwich, West Midlands, England
|Genres||Heavy metal, blues rock, hard rock|
|Associated acts||Judas Priest, Lion, Simon Lees, Holy Rage, Atkins May Project|
With a wife and young daughter to support and no record deal in sight, Atkins was forced "to get a haircut and a 9-to-5 job" in May 1973.
As of 2012, Atkins fronts the band Atkins/May Project, which also features guitarist Paul May. A press release dated 21 May 2011 stated that Atkins would be contributing session vocals for the heavy metal opera project, Lyraka. In 2013, Atkins recorded a solo album of his favorite songs written between his days in Judas Priest and his Holy Rage days.
- Judgement Day (1990)
- Dreams of Avalon (1991)
- Heavy Thoughts (1994) (released in 2003 with two bonus tracks)
- Victim of Changes (1998)
- Demon Deceiver (2007)
- Demon Deceiver... Plus (re-release with two bonus tracks, 2009)
- Reloaded (re-recorded "best of", featuring Ian Hill, Ralf Scheepers, Roy Z and more special guests, 2017)
- Holy Rage (2010)
Atkins / May Project
- Serpents Kiss (2011)
- Valley Of Shadows (2012)
- Empire Of Destruction (2014)
- Anthology (compilation, 2015)
Albums (guest sessions)
- Lyraka Volume 2 (not yet released)
- Atkins, Al; Daniels, Neil. Dawn Of The Metal Gods. My life in Judas Priest and Heavy Metal. IronPages Books. p. 10. ISBN 978-3-931624-56-9.
- "Ex-Judas Priest Singer Says Band Could've Sounded Like AC/DC If He Stuck Around". Ultimateclassicrock.com. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
-  Archived 25 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine.