Beheira Governorate on the map of Egypt
Nadia Ahmed Abdou
|• Total||10,130 km2 (3,910 sq mi)|
|• Density||560/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
Beheira Governorate (Egyptian Arabic: محافظة البحيرة Muḥāfẓet El Beḥēra , IPA: [elbeˈħeːɾæ], "the Lake") is a coastal governorate in Egypt. Located in the northern part of the country in the Nile Delta, its capital is Damanhur.
Beheira Governorate enjoys an important strategical place, west of the Rosetta branch of the Nile. It comprises four important highways, namely the Cairo-Alexandria desert road, the Cairo agricultural road, the international road and the circular road. Beheira Governorate is also home to a number of the most important Coptic monasteries in Wadi El Natrun (Scetes).
Beheira consists of 13 centers and 14 cities, and contains important industries such as cotton, chemicals, carpets, electricity and fishing.
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate live in rural areas, with an urbanization rate of only 19.5%. Out of an estimated 5,804,262 people residing in the governorate, 4,674,346 people live in rural areas as opposed to only 1,129,916 in urban areas.
- Abu Hummus
- Abu El Matamir
- El Delengat
- El Mahmoudiyah
- El Rahmaniya
- Itay El Barud
- Hosh Issa
- Kafr El Dawwar
- Kom Hamada
- Wadi El Natrun
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- Natron Valley
- Boseili Desert
- (New urban community industrial zone) Nubaria
In 1981, the Basic Village Service Program (BVS), under the auspices of USAID, had several water, road, and other projects, going on in several markazes in Beheira Governorate.
- "Mansour appoints 20 new governors". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Egypt's first-ever female governor marches to a different drummer". Al-Monitor. 2017-02-22. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Investment Regimes, Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Egypt: The Basic Village Services Program" (PDF). USAID. Retrieved 19 October 2016.