Al Gomhuria logo
|Publisher||Dar Al Tahrir Publishing House|
|Editor||Al Sayed Al Bably|
|Headquarters||Ramsees, Cairo, Egypt|
History and profile
Al Gomhuria was established in 1954 following the Egyptian revolution and became the new regime's leading media outlet. The paper was published using the facilities of Wafd party's newspaper Al Mısri, which had been disestablished by the regime. Anwar Sadat became the editor of the daily. The publisher of the paper is Dar Al Tahrir which was founded following the 1952 revolution.
Samir Ragab served as the chairman of the board and the editor in chief of the daily. In August 2012, Gamal Abdel Rahim was appointed editor-in-chief of the paper by the Egyptian Shura Council. However, he was fired in October 2012 and Al Sayed Al Bably was named as the editor-in-chief in November.
Dar Al Tahrir publishing house also owns the followings:
- Al Messa (evening newspaper)
- Al Kora wal Malaeb (sports)
- Shashaty (enterianment)
- Aqidaty (Islamic).
The group also publishes:
- Egyptian Gazette (English)
- Le Progrès Egyptien (French)
- "Publication overview" (PDF). Ipsos. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "Al Masry Al Youm transforming Egyptian press". Tavaana. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Alterman, Jon B. (1998). "New Media New Politics?" (PDF). The Washington Institute 48. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- Mamoun Fandy (1 January 2007). (Un)civil War of Words: Media and Politics in the Arab World. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 30. ISBN 978-0-275-99393-1. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- Angela Powers. "Transformation of Business" (PDF). Media Transformations. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- Sahar Hegazi; Mona Khalifa (October 2000). "Increasing the Coverage of Reproductive Health Issues in Egyptian Press Project" (PDF). FRONTIERS/Population Council. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Zoellick's visit to Egypt (July 13-14)". Wikileaks. 18 July 2005. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Renowned Author , Samir Ragab visits 57357". 57357. 4 December 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "New editors appointed by Shura". Daily News Egypt. 9 August 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Hend Kortam (27 November 2012). "New editor-in-chief appointed at Al Gomhuria". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 31 December 2013.