Ahmad al-Jaber Air Base
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ahmad al-Jaber Air Base
قاعدة أحمد الجابر الجوية
|Airport type||Military air base|
|Operator||Kuwait Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||407 ft / 124 m|
Ahmad al-Jaber Air Base (IATA: XIJ, ICAO: OKAJ) is a Kuwait Air Force base that is home to 3 Kuwait Air Force F/A-18 C/D squadrons: 9 Squadron, 25 Squadron, and 61 Squadron. The base also has an area designated for operations by the U.S. Air Force and its allies.
Sitting 75 miles south of the Iraqi border, the base has supported active duty United States Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II and General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter units, along with support individuals, rotated in and out. At Al-Jaber AB, the 332 ELS Commander and 10 personnel were on one-year tours; all others (1190 personnel) rotated every 90 to 120 days.
According to USA Today on 22 October 2003 the US Ambassador to Kuwait, Richard Jones, announced that the United States was reducing its presence at Al-Jaber with the intent of fully reducing its forces at that location. USAF assets remaining in Kuwait are primarily stationed at Ali Al Salem Air Base.
The U.S. side of the base was re-opened during 2014 sometime before October.
- Globalsecurity.org, Joint Task Force Southwest Asia, accessed January 2009
- AirForces Monthly. Stamford, Lincolnshire, England: Key Publishing Ltd. December 2015. p. 17.
- AirForces Monthly. Stamford, Lincolnshire, England: Key Publishing Ltd. June 2015. p. 23.
- "SP-MAGTF Commander Details ISIL Strikes; Notes 1st Marines 'Could Clear' Iraq". Breaking Defense. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- AirForces Monthly. Stamford, Lincolnshire, England: Key Publishing Ltd. February 2015. p. 35.
- AirForces Monthly. Stamford, Lincolnshire, England: Key Publishing Ltd. January 2015. p. 27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Al Jaber Airbase, Kuwait.|
|This United States Air Force article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kuwaiti location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|