|Birth name||Alvin James P. Manlutac|
August 19, 1991|
Alvin James P. Manlutac (born August 19, 1991), known professionally as Al James, is a Filipino rapper and songwriter. He is known for his songs "Pahinga", "Ngayong Gabi", and "Pa-Umaga".
Al James graduated with a degree in Fine Arts and Design at the University of Santo Tomas. He became involved in hip-hop where he met his collaborators, collectively known as Baryo Berde Atbp. whom he met while at UST. The group now has 11 members.
His exposure increased with the release of "Ngayong Gabi", collecting over 25 million views in 18 months. He was praised by Highsnobiety for "his syrupy flow and purple imagery make for a chill counterpoint to the chaos of life in this dense megacity." He has crossed over from underground to mainstream as his song Ngayong Gabi hit #1 on Wave 89.1’s primetime hit in December 2017. So far, he is not signed with any record label. According to an interview with FHM, he stated that one of his hip-hop contemporaries he follows is Shanti Dope. He was tapped to remix his own single Pahinga by McDonald's' for their Summer Desserts advertisement campaign entitled "Palamig Ka Muna".
- Pahinga (2016)
- Ngayong Gabi (2017)
- Pa-Umaga (2018)
- "Crossover King". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "10 Filipino Rappers You Need to Know". Highsnobiety. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Meet Al James, the crossover hip-hop phenom with a penchant for thirst". Youngstar. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "The FHM Field Guide: We Check Out Suez & Zapote With Al James". FHM. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- Aguilera, John Paulo. "The Low-Key Hip-Hop Genius Of Al James". FHM. Retrieved 9 July 2018.