The Al Maktoum (Arabic: آل مكتوم Āl Maktūm / English: The house of Maktoum) family is the ruling family of Dubai, and one of the six ruling families of the United Arab Emirates. The family is a branch of the Bani Yas clan (a lineage the family shares with the Al Nahyan dynasty of Abu Dhabi). The Al Maktoum family descends from the Al Bu Falasah (now known as Al-Falasi) section of the Bani Yas, a tribal federation that was the dominant power throughout most of what is now the United Arab Emirates.
In 1833, about 800 members of the Bani Yas tribe, under the leadership of Maktoum bin Butti, took over the emirate of Dubai and established the Al Maktoum dynasty in the emirate. The Al Maktoum dynasty has ruled Dubai since 1833. Within the federation of the United Arab Emirates, a member of the Dubai ruling family is also de facto always the country's Vice President, Prime Minister and Defence Minister.
The following Al Maktoum members have ruled Dubai:
- ... - 9 June 1833 Sheikh `Ubayd bin Said
- 9 June 1833 - 1852 Sheikh Maktoum I bin Bati bin Suhayl (d. 1852)
- 1852 - 1859 Sheikh Said I bin Bati (d. 1859)
- 1859 - 22 November 1886 Sheikh Hushur bin Maktoum (d. 1886)
- 22 November 1886 - 7 April 1894 Sheikh Rashid I bin Maktoum (d. 1894)
- 7 April 1894 - 16 February 1906 Sheikh Maktoum II bin Hushur (d. 1906)
- 16 February 1906 - November 1912 Sheikh Butti bin Suhail (b. 1851 - d. 1912)
- November 1912 - 15 April 1929 Sheikh Saeed II bin Maktoum (1st time) (b. 1878 - d. 1958)
- 15 April 1929 - 18 April 1929 Sheikh Mani bin Rashid
- 18 April 1929 - September 1958 Sheikh Saeed II bin Maktoum (2nd time)
- September 1958 - 7 October 1990 Sheikh Rashid II bin Saeed Al Maktoum (b. 1912 - d. 1990)
- 7 October 1990 - 4 January 2006 Sheikh Maktoum III bin Rashid Al Maktoum (b. 1943 - d. 2006)
- 4 January 2006 – present Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (b. 1949)
- "Al Maktoum". www.sheikhmohammed.co.ae. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "The Making of Modern Gulf States: Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Oman", Rosemarie Said Zahlan, Garnett & Ithica Press
|This UAE-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|