|Birth name||Albert Floyd Piccirilli|
|Born||July 13, 1928|
Black Horse, Pennsylvania
|Died||May 24, 2020 (aged 91)|
|Genres||Rock and roll, jazz, country|
Albert Floyd Piccirilli (July 13, 1928 – May 24, 2020), also known by his stage name Al Rex, was an American bass player for Bill Haley & His Comets and its predecessor Bill Haley and the Saddlemen.
He started playing for them in 1949 and became noted for "wild antics" on stage. He formed his own band, Al Rex and the Regaleers in 1960. He left the music industry soon after, although he continued to perform on occasion. He later had a wife and fathered eight children. On May 24, 2020, he died in his Norristown, Pennsylvania home from pneumonia. He was the last surviving of the Comets.
- "Clipped From The Philadelphia Inquirer". Newspapers.com. October 27, 1991. p. 311.
- "The Comets Timeline at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame". Rockhall.com.
- Swenson, John. Bill Haley (London: W.H. Allen, 1982).
- Bill Haley. Wagner Verlag sucht Autoren. ISBN 9783862795376 – via Google Books.
- Puleo, Gary. "Pioneering bass player for the Comets passes away". Swathmore, PA: The Times Herald. Archived from the original on June 4, 2020. Retrieved May 28, 2020.