Alfred Paul Ries
November 14, 1926
|Died||October 7, 2022 (aged 95)|
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
|Education||DePauw University (1950)|
Alfred Paul Ries (November 14, 1926 – October 7, 2022) was an American marketing professional and author. He was the cofounder and chairman of the Atlanta-based consulting firm Ries & Ries with his partner and daughter, Laura Ries. Along with Jack Trout, Ries is credited with resurrecting the idea of "positioning" in the field of marketing.
Life and career
Born in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1926, Ries graduated from DePauw University as a mathematics major in 1950. He accepted a position with the advertising department of General Electric before founding his own advertising agency in New York City, Ries Cappiello Colwell, in 1961. Jack Trout joined the agency in 1967. Ries and Trout wrote a three-part series of articles for Advertising Age in 1972. The themes discussed in that series of articles inspired their later book, Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind, published in 1981. Ries wrote an article for AdWeek that centered around the historical failure of converged devices, Why the iPhone will fail, published in 2007.
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind. Warner Books. 1981. ISBN 9780446308007. OCLC 881659550.
- Ries, Al; Trout, Jack (1986). Marketing Warfare. McGraw-Hill Book Company. ISBN 9780070527300.
- Ries, Al; Trout, Jack (1990). Bottom-up Marketing. Plume. ISBN 9780452264182.
- Ries, Al; Trout, Jack (1991). Find A Horse to Ride: The Key to Marketing Yourself. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 9780070527355.
- Ries, Al; Trout, Jack (1994). The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing. HarperBusiness. ISBN 9780887306662.
- Ries, Al; Ries, Laura (2000). 11 Immutable Laws of Branding on the Net. HarperCollinsBusiness. ISBN 9780002572224. OCLC 43674591.
- Ries, Al (2005). Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends On It. Collins Business Essentials. ISBN 9780060799908. OCLC 977381847.
- Ries, Al; Ries, Laura (2012). The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding. HarperBusiness. ISBN 9780060007737. OCLC 934866574.
- Ries, Al; Ries, Laura (2012). The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands. HarperCollins books. ISBN 9780060570156.
- "Business Week List of 'Books That Matter' Includes Work Co-Authored by Al Ries '50". DePauw University. 7 August 2006.
- Schudel, Matt (June 13, 2017). "Jack Trout, marketing expert who sought an edge through 'positioning,' dies at 82". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "Al Ries, Father of Positioning, Dies at Age 95". AdAge. 12 October 2022. Retrieved 12 October 2022.
- Ries, Al (October 10, 2016). "Polarize, Don't Demonize: Politics and Marketing". AdAge. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "Indiatimes Seminars: Profile of Al Ries". seminars.indiatimes.com (Press release).
- Sandomir, Richard (June 7, 2017). "Jack Trout, Who Fought for Consumers' Minds and Money, Dies at 82". The New York Times. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- Trout, Jack; Ries, Al (1972). "The Position Era Cometh" (PDF). Advertising Age.
- Ries, Al (June 18, 2017). "Why the iPhone will fail' Convergence Devices Have a Frequent History of Failure". Ad Age. Retrieved March 14, 2022.
- "2016 Marketing Hall of Fame Inductee". New York American Marketing Association. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Sandomir, Richard (October 19, 2022). "Al Ries, Adman Who Sought a Portal Into Consumers' Brains, Dies at 95". The New York Times. Retrieved October 19, 2022.