|Municipality of Alabel|
Map of Sarangani with Alabel highlighted
|Region||Soccsksargen (Region XII)|
|• Mayor||Vic Paul Salarda|
|• Total||510.98 km2 (197.29 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)83|
|Income class||1st municipal income class|
|Electorate||45,780 voters as of 2016|
The first Mayor of Alabel is Hon. Lucio Alaba. The word Alabel is derived from the combined surnames of Alaba and Beldad.
The former President Corazon Aquino landed in Barangay Spring in 1988 during her visit in South Cotabato.
The so-called battle of Ilaga and Muslim and Lumads happened in Alabel during Marcos Regime in 1974. Many Lumads and Muslim was killed and murdered by paramilitary groups called ilaga (rats).
Civilian fled and evacuated in Dadiangas in order to survive from brutalities in Alabel while some transfer and went home to their place of origin in Visayan Islands.
Festival and celebrations
The Municipality of Alabel celebrates it Foundation anniversary every 10th day of September. It is an annual celebration to commemorate the founding of the town. Together the people of Alabel also celebrates the Kasadyaan Festival. Kasadyaan means bliss, to gave an ideal representation of what is Alabel.
The annual Patronal Fiesta in Alabel is celebrated every May 15. It is feast day of San Isidro Labrador, the town's patron saint and the patron saint of farmers.
Alabel is politically subdivided into 13 barangays.
- Datal Anggas
- New Canaan( proposed barangay)
Poblacion, the town's capital
The current Punong Barangay of Poblacion is Hon. Herculano Lacaba. Poblacion is divided into 25 purok.
Purok 10-Sto. Niňo was among the outstanding. Headed by Purok Chairman Arnold Navarro Sope, who served the purok for almost 20 years considered as the longest serving purok chairman in Poblacion. The temporary and the first municipal hall of Alabel is located in Purok 10, at the ancestral house of the late Sulpicio Neri.
Purok 9-Sta. Cruz was the residence of the former vice mayor of Alabel, Honorio Cayetuna Navarro. He served the people of Alabel in almost a decade. A street is named in his honor, Honorio Navarro Street in front the present Municipal Compound.
Alabel National High School is considered the seat of excellence in secondary education in the entire Sarangani Province. Producing highly competitive and world-class citizenry. ANHS was one of the many Tech-Voc School in the Province. It was established in 1960's as community high school.
The current vice-mayor of Alabel, Hon. Ronnel Saldua Espaňol,MPA is one of the alumni of ANHS in the year 1992.
Alabel National Science High School, the only regional science high school in SOCCSKSARGEN is located in Alabel,inside the Provincial Capitol Complex.
|Population census of Alabel|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Alabel is largely based on agriculture with a high level production of dried coconut meat. Animal husbandry is the second biggest income earner, notably cattle farming. Other agricultural products are coconuts, maize, sugarcane, bananas, pineapples, cotton, mangoes; goat farming, pork, eggs, beef; fish; charcoal; coconut weaving. It is adjacent to the highly urbanized sea port city of General Santos.
The economy has accelerated in the past decade driven by advances in global communication technology and the finishing of a modern highway that tremendously improved trade and transport.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Province: SARANGANI". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Sarangani". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alabel, Sarangani.|