Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
ACCET Main Building
|Location||Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Nickname||ACCET; A.C. TECH|
Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology (ACCET-Karaikudi) is an autonomous (with effect from 2009) college of engineering in Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu, India. Established in 1952, it is under the control of the government of the State. The college is a member institute under the TEQIP - Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme in India (11 colleges were selected from Tamil Nadu).
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Students associations
- 4 Campus Facilities
- 5 Principals
- 6 Lateral Entry Counseling
- 7 ACCET alumni
- 8 Placements
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
On 21 July 1952 ACCET started with three faculties - Civil, Mechanical and Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The foundation for the main building of the college was laid by Rajendra Prasad, the President of India, on 19 February 1953.
- 1966 - The institution was handed over to the government of Tamil Nadu.
- 1969 - A new faculty, Electronics and Communication Engineering was started.
- 1983 - M.E. in Microwave and Optical Engineering started
- 1988 - Master of Computer Application (M.C.A) started.
- 2001 - B.E. Degree course in Computer Science and Engineering introduced.
The institution has been awarded the status of the best engineering college of 2006-07 in Tamil Nadu. Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi honoured the Principal in a function at Anna University, Chennai, on 1 September 2008 for this cause. The college is now affiliated to Anna University,Chennai from 2012. Amenities like Canteen, PostOffice are available.
The college has been selected by the World Bank to participate in a Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) Phase-2, and Rs.12.5 crores has been sanctioned as programme life allocation by the National Project Implementation Unit of the Indian Governmentt. This amount will be incurred towards the purchase of equipment and further development of the college. World bank given 15.67 Crores towards equipment and modernisation of labs.
The engineering courses that are available at the undergraduate level are:
- Civil Engineering, accredited by NBA for three years with five star status.
- Mechanical Engineering, accredited by NBA for five years with five star status.
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering, accredited by NBA for three years with five star status.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering, accredited by NBA for five years with three star status.
- Computer Science Engineering (accreditation pending)
- M.E. Optical Communication
- M.E. Computer Aided Design
- M.E. Manufacturing Engineering
- M.E. Structural Engineering
- M.E. Environmental Engineering
- M.E. Power Electronics and Drives
- M.C.A. Master of Computer Application
To encourage the students in extra curricular activities various associations are functioning in the campus, including fine arts association, Tamil mandram and more.
The Non Resident Students Centre Building was declared open on 27 March 1981 for the benefit of day scholars. It houses a couple of spacious dining halls with furniture. A room for the students association and a few guest rooms are also available in the NRSC Building.
The college also offers separate hostel facilities for both boys and girls.Hostel Blocks are situated around College Campus.In order to avoid ragging problem separate hostels for all years are available with watchman available for the whole day
Sports and games
The college offers facilities for outdoor and indoor games such as cricket, hockey, football, volleyball, basketball, badminton, tennis and table tennis and chess. There is a 400 m track for athletics and the necessary equipment for jumps, throws, power lifting and body building. The membership of the tennis club is open to staff and students of the college. An indoor stadium and gymnasium are also available.To promote sports among the students every year intra-college sports meet is being conducted.The sports meet "SPIRITUZ-Intensely spirited" is to be held during March 2015.The 2015 sports meet was won by "MARCELLAZ" (2011 - 2015) final year batch.
Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology and Alagappa Polytechnic Students Co-operative Society Limited was registered on 19.1.1956. Every student on admission to the college automatically becomes the member of co-operative store. The store primarily caters to the requirements of the students.A co-operative store with students and staff as members is functioning in the campus.A co-operative thrift society is also functioning in the campus for the benefit of the faculty and staff members of the college.
A dispensary is functioning in the hostel campus with an attached in-patient ward to accommodate students and staff in case of illness. The unit is under the charge of a part-time medical officer assisted by a pharmacist. The dispensary functions during forenoon session on all weekdays except Sunday.
The college auditorium (Dewan Bahadur Murugappa Hall) is the college auditorium seating a capacity of 600. It also has a spacious stage for conducting cultural programmes and entertainment.
Alagappa Engineering College Post Office is located in the college campus. You can avail postal services just in a few steps of walking.
You can avail SBI ATM facility in CECRI shopping complex near the campus. Indian Bank along with ATM facility is also situated near the college campus. ICICI bank along with ATM facility is reachable in a few metres in College Road.
- 1952-1953 V. S. Jayaraman
- 1953-1962 D. S. Venkanna
- 1962-1964 P. S. Manisundaram
- 1964-1965 A. V. Raghavachar
- 1965-1971 W. P.Vijayaraghavan
- 1971-1976 S. Srinivasan
- 1976-1977 R. Sridhara Rao
- 1977-1984 N. M. Janardhan
- 1984-1985 S. Narayanaswamy
- 1985-1986 M. M. Rahman
- 1986-1987 T. R. Natesan
- 1987-1988 S. R. Srinivasan
- 1988-1991 A. N. Thomas
- 1991-1993 K. N. Shanmugasundaram
- 1993-1996 P. Balakrishnan
- 1996-1998 E. Ramasamy
- 1999-2000 T. R. Thyagarajan
- 2000-2005 V. M. Periasamy
- 2005-2006 R. Lakshmipathy
- 2006-2009 R. Sundararajan
- 2009-2011 V. Sekaran
- 2011-2012 A. Mala
- 2012-June 2012 Neelakandan
- 2012-2013 A.Mala
- 2013- Feb 2013 Jawahar Pandian
- 2013- 2016 A.Mala
- 2016-jan 2017 Rajkumar
Feb2017-till now Dr.A.Elango
Lateral Entry Counseling
The institution is the center for Lateral Entry admissions every year under Anna University to colleges across Tamil Nadu. Using admissions software developed by its own students, the institute organizes the counseling process (invitation of applications, scrutiny of forms, preparation of merit list, dispatch of call letters and allotment of seats) for direct entry into second year B.E/B.Tech courses all over the state. The team for admissions functions under the leadership of the Principal, who is the secretary for admissions.
The Old Students Association maintains contact between the ex-students of the college and the college itself. It was called as Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology Old Boys Association (ACCETOBA) but now it is re-christened as ACCETOSA (Alagappa Chettiar College Of Engineering and Technology Old Students Association).To promote the technical skills of the students a project contest called THIRAN is conducted in even semesters by the Alumni.
Many corporate companies are visiting regularly for campus interview. First time in the history of ACCET 2004-08 batch Civil Engineering students achieved 100% campus placement.The college shows keen interest in students getting exposed to industries. It has signed MoUs with "FLSMIDTH" and "CARITOR" and has great vision to extend its relationship with other industries. ECE department of our college has signed MoU with companies like "VI MICROSYSTEM", "ENIXS", "IFUTURA".
- List of Tamil Nadu Government's Educational Institutions
- List of Tamil Nadu Government's Engineering Colleges
- "About ACCET" (PDF). Anna University, Chennai. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Chief Minister to present best colleges awards