Alain Caron (bassist)
Alain Caron at JazzFe 2006
|Born||May 5, 1955|
Saint-Éloi, Quebec, Canada
|Genres||Jazz, jazz fusion|
|Associated acts||Uzeb, Didier Lockwood|
Alain Caron (born May 5, 1955) is a French Canadian jazz bassist.
The youngest of 11 children, Caron started playing bass at age 11 and began pursuing jazz at age 15. His musical skills were formalised by correspondence lessons with the jazz improvisation teacher Charlie Banacos and by attending a summer session at Berklee College of Music.
He is a former member of Uzeb (with Michel Cusson on guitar and Paul Brochu on drums) that was active from 1976 to 1992. In 1993, Caron began releasing concept albums as Le Band. He has also recorded with Leni Stern and with Gino Vannelli.
- Le Band – 1993
- Rhythm 'n Jazz – 1995
- Play – 1997
- Call Me Al – 2000
- 5 – 2003
- 5 Live – 2006
- 5 Live (DVD) – 2006
- Conversations – 2007
- Sep7entrion – 2010
- Multiple Faces – 2013
- Rhythm 'n Jazz – Ultimate Play-Along for Bass: Jam With Alain Caron and His Band Le Band (1998) ISBN 0-9684633-1-2 ISBN 978-0-9684633-1-4
- Play – Ultimate Play-Along for Bass: Jam With Alain Caron and His Band Le Band (1999) ISBN 0-9684633-1-2 ISBN 978-0-9684633-1-4
Luthier George Furlanetto of F Bass in Hamilton, Ontario, has built basses for Caron since the eighties. Furlanetto worked with Caron to develop the F Bass Alain Caron model (AC6), which has the tone of a solid body fretless with the dynamic characteristics of an acoustic guitar.
Awards and distinctions
- Félix Awards for both "Group of the Year" and "Jazz Album of the Year".
- With Uzeb, the Oscar Peterson Lifetime Achievement Award, presented at the 1991 Montreal International Jazz Festival.
- On August 30, 2007, the University of Quebec at Rimouski (UQAR), presented an honorary doctorate to Caron.
- Member of the Order of Canada.
- Hill, Gary. "Alain Caron: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- Yanow, Scott. "Rhythm'n Jazz: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- Erskine, Damian (October 2007). "Alain Caron "Conversations", 10/01/2007". All About Jazz. Archived from the original on July 7, 2011. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- Alain Caron: Call him Doctor!
- Doctorat honorifique : Monsieur Alain Caron
- Order of Canada list announced: A guide to who’s being honoured