|Born||2 January 1947|
|Alma mater||Panthéon-Assas University|
|Awards||Chevalier of the Legion of Honour|
|Institutions||Université de Paris Ouest - Nanterre La Défense|
Alain Pellet (born 2 January 1947) is a French lawyer who teaches international law and international economic law at the Université de Paris Ouest - Nanterre La Défense. He was director of the Centre de Droit International (CEDIN) of the University between 1991 and 2001. He is the author of numerous books.
Pellet is a French expert in international law, a member and former president of the United Nations International Law Commission, and is or has been counsel for many governments, including the French government, in the area of public international law. He has also been expert to the Badinter Arbitration Committee, as well as rapporteur of the French Committee Jurists on the Creation of an International Criminal Tribunal for Former Yugoslavia ("TRUCHE Commission"), that is at the origin of the French project of creation of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
He has been agent or counsel and lawyer in more than 35 cases before the International Court of Justice and has participated in several international and transnational arbitrations (in particular in the area of investment).
He is Chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur since 1998.
Pellet has a bachelor of laws (public law) (1968 – Faculty of Law and Economics, Paris), he has the diploma of the Institute of Political Studies, Paris (Sciences Po) (1968 – public service section). He has obtained a diploma of advanced studies in political science and a diploma of advanced studies in public law (1969 – Faculty of Law and Economics, Paris) as well as a State doctorate in public law (1974 – Panthéon-Assas University – Assas, Paris) and the "Agrégation" in public law and political science (1974). He has been auditor at the Academy of International Law, The Hague (public international law courses, 1967, 1969 and 1971).
- Droit international public, co-author with P. DAILLIER and M. FORTEAU (8th ed., 2009)
- La Charte des Nations Unies, Constitution mondiale ?, co-edited with R. CHEMAIN (2006)
- "Articles 19 et 22" and, with W. SCHABAS, article 23 (Réserves) in O. CORTEN et P. KLEIN, eds., Les Conventions de Vienne sur le droit des traités – Commentaire article par article (2006)
- "Article 38" in A. ZIMMERMANN, Ch. TOMUSCHAT and K. OELLERS-FRAHM, The International Court of Justice – A Commentary (2006)
- La Charte des Nations Unies en 2 volumes : Commentaire article par article, co-edited with J.-P. COT (3rd ed., 2005)
- Droit international pénal, co-edited with H. ASCENSIO et E. DECAUX (2000)
- Lectures entitled Counsel before the International Court of Justice, Responsibility in International Law - An Introduction, The Guide to Practice on Reservations to Treaties (also available in French) in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- "Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense – Professor Alain Pellet". Université de Paris Ouest - Nanterre La Défense. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.