The project started in 1975 and a model on a one-third scale was used for experiments between 1987 and 1992. L'hydroptère was launched in 1994 and reaches 35 knots the same year. Since 2005, with the support of Swiss banker, Thierry Lombard of Geneva, he modified his yacht for an attempt to reach the speed of 50 knots. In September 2009, in Hyères, France, Alain Thébault and his crew managed to break the outright speed record on 500m with 51.36 knots.
- Alain Thébault, Pilote d'un rêve, Paris, Flammarion, 2005, ISBN 978-2-08-068809-5
- Alain Thébault, "Le mur du vent", Paris, Editions de La Martinière, 2008, ISBN 978-2-7324-3771-2
- geboren.am: 19. September
- Story of the Hydroptère project
- Records on the WSSRC website
- "'Flying' water taxis for Paris". The Connexion. 26 October 2016.