Location of Alajärvi in Finland
|• Town manager||Vesa Koivunen|
|• Total||1,008.75 km2 (389.48 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,008.76 km2 (389.48 sq mi)|
|• Water||47.99 km2 (18.53 sq mi)|
|Area rank||78th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||99th largest in Finland|
|• Density||9.89/km2 (25.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||18.8%|
|• 15 to 64||61.1%|
|• 65 or older||20.1%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Southern Ostrobothnia region. The town has a population of 9,973 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 1,008.75 square kilometres (389.48 sq mi) of which 47.99 km2 (18.53 sq mi) is water. The population density is 9.89 inhabitants per square kilometre (25.6/sq mi).
The town is unilingually Finnish; there are few immigrants.
Though a small town, Alajärvi has a few shops, namely Supermarket, Tokmanni, Lidl and a few others. In 2013 a public natatorium was opened, which also includes a weight room.
The municipality of Lehtimäki was consolidated with Alajärvi on 1 January 2009.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Alajärvi at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Alajärvi – Official website
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|