|Industry||Publishing, media, web design|
|Founder||Mike Fischer, James West|
|Headquarters||Abingdon, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom|
|Products||Digital images, video|
|Services||Rights-managed and royalty-free images and video|
Alamy (registered as Alamy Limited) is a privately owned stock photography agency launched in 1999. Its headquarters are on Milton Park, near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. It has a development and operations centre at Techno park in Trivandrum, Kerala, India and a sales office in Brooklyn, United States.
Alamy maintains an online archive of over ten million still images, illustrations and hundreds of thousands of videos contributed by agencies and independent photographers or collected from news archives, museums and national collections. Its suppliers include both professional and amateur photographers, stock agencies, news archives, museums and national collections. Its clients are from the photography, publishing and advertising industries and the general public.
James West, a graduate of Edinburgh University, is the CEO of Alamy and co-founded the company with Mike Fischer in 1999. Fischer, the current chairman and co–founder of the firm, was also co-founder and CEO of RM plc, the UK Company that pioneered the use of technology in the classroom.
- In 2002, Alamy won an EMMA (Electronic Multimedia Awards) award for technical excellence. The purpose of the award is to recognize excellence in digital media content creation. It also introduced a 24/7 high-resolution download tool for customers. The technical innovation continued with virtual CDs becoming a replacement for RF image CDs.
- In 2003, the firm introduced an international distribution network. Based on the resulting increased sales, it increased the royalty payments for its contributors in 2006. Since 2002 Alamy has paid out over $100 million to its contributors.
- In March 2004 one million images were available on the site and by October 2007 there were 10 million images online.
- In 2010, the firm created an iPad app to showcase its images.
- In 2011, Alamy launched a live news service, and in 2012 it started to accept live news images from mobile phones which upgraded their collection to 25 million images.
- In the same year 2011, the company expanded its international sales unit with teams being introduced in Germany, Australia and The Middle East.
- In 2012, Alamy introduced the Alamy iQ, video, and creative search results .
- In 2015, Alamy’s iPhone app Stockimo was shortlisted in The Drum's Marketing on Mobile Awards (MOMAs) for the Best Mobile/Tablet Consumer Facing App.
- "Global Still Images Market 2015-2019". ReportLinker. December 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy". TopTenReviews. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- David Hoffman (27 May 2015). "Alamy in the rear view mirror". Editorial Photographers UK (EPUK). Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy responds to EPUK's open letter". EPUK. 5 March 2015. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy Makes a Change to its Commission Structure". Centre of the Picture Industry (CEPIC). 20 November 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Limited, Alamy. "Alamy in the news".
- "Image Search and Purchase Now Five Times Faster on Alamy.com". Graphics. 29 August 2002. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy Launches Virtual Alternative to Royalty Free CDs". Graphics.com. 2 September 2003. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy 100% royalties" (PDF). Weareoca. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy CEO: AlamyRank "not disadvantaging specialist contributors"". Editorial Photographers UK (EPUK). 16 November 2006. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Jim Pickerell. "Alamy Reaches 10 Million Images, Reveals Financials". selling-stock.com.
- Patrick Jordan (28 August 2010). "New iPad Apps: Alamy Photo Collection". iPad Insight. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy launches Live News service". Stockphototalk. 18 October 2011. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Magezine Publishing Ltd. "Alamy Stock Photo Agency Now Allows Mobile Photos". ePHOTOzine.
- "Email Marketing Software from AWeber - AWeber Email Marketing". aweber.com. Archived from the original on 2013-09-24.
- "Alamy shakes it up with Alamy iQ". 16 November 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Alamy’s iPhone app Stockimo has been shortlisted as a finalist in prestigious MOMA awards – In the best mobile/tablet consumer facing app category.". Alamy. 29 May 2015. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "MOMAs – Marketing on Mobile Awards - 2016 - 2015 Winners". The Drum / Carnyx Group. Retrieved 12 November 2016.