Alan Baker (mathematician)
19 August 1939 |
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Alma mater||University College London
University of Cambridge
|Thesis||Some Aspects of Diophantine Approximation (1964)|
|Doctoral advisor||Harold Davenport|
|Doctoral students||John Coates
Richard Clive Mason
|Known for||Number theory
|Notable awards||Fields Medal (1970)
Adams Prize (1972)
Alan Baker was born in London on 19 August 1939. He was awarded the Fields Medal in 1970, at age 31. His academic career started as a student of Harold Davenport, at University College London and later at Cambridge. He was a visiting scholar at the Institute for Advanced Study in the fall of 1970. He is a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.
Baker generalized the Gelfond–Schneider theorem, itself a solution to Hilbert's seventh problem. Specifically, Baker showed that if are algebraic numbers (besides 0 or 1), and if are irrational algebraic numbers such that the set are linearly independent over the rational numbers, then the number is transcendental.
- Baker, Alan (1966), "Linear forms in the logarithms of algebraic numbers. I", Mathematika, 13: 204–216, ISSN 0025-5793, MR 0220680, doi:10.1112/S0025579300003971
- Baker, Alan (1967a), "Linear forms in the logarithms of algebraic numbers. II", Mathematika, 14: 102–107, ISSN 0025-5793, MR 0220680, doi:10.1112/S0025579300008068
- Baker, Alan (1967b), "Linear forms in the logarithms of algebraic numbers. III", Mathematika, 14: 220–228, ISSN 0025-5793, MR 0220680, doi:10.1112/S0025579300003843
- Baker, Alan (1990), Transcendental number theory, Cambridge Mathematical Library (2nd ed.), Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-39791-9, MR 0422171; 1st edition. 1975.
- Baker, Alan; Wüstholz, G. (2007), Logarithmic forms and Diophantine geometry, New Mathematical Monographs, 9, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-88268-2, MR 2382891
Honours and awards
- Institute for Advanced Study: A Community of Scholars
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Biography in Encyclopædia Britannica. http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9084909/Alan-Baker
- Stolarsky, Kenneth B. (1978). "Review: Transcendental number theory by Alan Baker; Lectures on transcendental numbers by Kurt Mahler; Nombres transcendants by Michel Waldschmidt" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 84 (8): 1370–1378. doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1978-14584-4.