Branch with the New England Patriots in 2015
|No. 97 New England Patriots|
|Date of birth:||December 29, 1984|
|Place of birth:||Rio Rancho, New Mexico|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||350 lb (159 kg)|
|High school:||Albuquerque (NM) Cibola|
|NFL Draft:||2007 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
Alan Keith Branch (born December 29, 1984) is an American football defensive tackle for the New England Patriots in the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft and has also played for the Seattle Seahawks and Buffalo Bills. He played college football at Michigan.
Branch attended Cibola High School in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In addition to playing on the defensive line, Branch also played tight end as well as running back and punt returner in high school. He scored 3 rushing touchdowns and 2 receiving touchdowns in his senior season and 5 punt return touchdowns for his career.
Branch was a fairly highly regarded recruit coming out of high school, ranked as high as #6 nationally among defensive tackles.
Branch was also a three-year starter on the varsity basketball team, earning all-district honors as a sophomore and was second team all-state as a junior.
High school awards
- Selected to play in 2004 U.S. Army All-American Bowl
- Gatorade Player of the Year in New Mexico
- All-State as a junior and senior
- On May 3rd, 2017, Branch was inducted to the Cibola High School Hall of Fame
Branch, along with fellow defensive all-star LaMarr Woodley, anchored one of the best defenses in college football in 2006. He had 57 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, and nine sacks in 35 career games at Michigan. He had his first interception and a fumble recovery against Ohio State on November 18, 2006. Branch played both defensive tackle and defensive end at Michigan.
- 2006 ESPN.com All-American Team
- 2006 All-Big Ten Conference First Team (coaches and media)
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6 in||324 lb||34 1/8 in||10 in||5.07 s||1.75 s||2.92 s||4.79 s||7.56 s||27 1/2 in||8 ft 11 in||33 reps|
On December 23, 2013, Branch signed a multi-year contract extension with the Bills.
On August 24, 2014, one day after being arrested for a DUI, Branch was cut from the team.
New England Patriots
On October 21, 2014, it was reported that Branch had signed a 1-year deal with the New England Patriots. The team officially announced the signing on October 29. On February 1, 2015 Branch won his first Super Bowl, defeating his former team the Seattle Seahawks.
On March 15, 2015, Branch re-signed with the Patriots on a two-year deal worth a maximum of $6.6 million.
On November 21, 2016, Branch was notified that he was facing a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on substance abuse but did not have to serve any games after the league rescinded the suspension before his appeal was even heard. Branch helped the Patriots win 14 games and reach Super Bowl LI. The Patriots trailed 28-3 in the third quarter, but rallied all the way back to win the game 34-28 against the Atlanta Falcons which featured the first overtime game in Super Bowl history and the largest comeback in the Super Bowl. Branch recorded 3 tackles, 0.5 sacks, and a crucial fumble recovery in the game.
On March 9, 2017, Branch signed a two-year, $12 million contract extension with the Patriots.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- Confirmed: Seahawks agree to terms with DT Alan Branch
- DT Alan Branch signs with Buffalo
- Hanzus, Dan (April 2, 2013). "Alan Branch signs one-year contract with Buffalo Bills". NFL.com. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- DL Alan Branch signs extension with Bills
- Agent: Alan Branch back with Patriots
- Shook, Nick (November 21, 2016). "Patriots' Alan Branch facing four-game suspension". NFL.com.
- Shook, Nick (December 3, 2016). "Patriots' Alan Branch has suspension rescinded". NFL.com.
- Wesseling, Chris. "New England Patriots win Super Bowl LI". NFL. Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Reiss, Mike (March 9, 2017). "Patriots check off important part of to-do list with Alan Branch deal". ESPN.com.
- "Alan Branch Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 30 December 2014.