Alan Cinis (born 10 August 1960 in Orange, New South Wales), an Australian politician and actor, is a Councillor on Leichhardt Council, Sydney, New South Wales representing the NSW Greens since 2008. As an actor, Cinis has starred in television, musical drama and film.
Cinis commenced his acting career in October 1969, aged nine. His television, film and musical drama credits are extensive, from Castaway (TV Series) in 1974 to Underbelly: The Golden Mile TV series in 2010.
Cinis has also appeared in numerous television commercials.
In 2008, Cinis was elected to Leichhardt Council at the NSW local government elections representing the Eora Leichhardt Lilyfield Ward. As a long-term resident and a veteran of the Australian acting scene, Cinis was appearing in the Australian production of Billy Elliot the Musical at the Capitol Theatre, Sydney at the time of his election to Council. He campaigned on a strong anti-crime platform, claiming: "I’ve been a victim of crime – my wife has been shot at, I’ve been bashed in the street and pinned down by local troublemakers. Now I can do my bit to ask the right questions and improve safety..... I’m keen to work with underprivileged kids from wrong side of the tracks, to get in there and make a difference."
On 9 November 2010, it was reported that Cinis was arrested after police allegedly seized 12 plastic bags containing "green vegetable matter" and six plants from his Leichhardt home. He was charged with deemed supply, possession and cultivation offences relating to cannabis and possessing a prohibited drug. Cinis was released on bail and was scheduled to appear before Balmain local court in December 2010. On 8 June 2011 Cinis plead guilty to cultivation and possession and was placed on an 18-month good behaviour bond. The deemed supply charge was withdrawn.
- "Councillors - Alan Cinis". 2008 Council elections. Leichhardt Council. 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "About me". Alan Cinis. Alan Cinis. 2009. Archived from the original on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Alan Cinis". The Internet Movie Database. Amazon.com. 2010. Archived from the original on 12 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Alan Cinis" (PDF). Client CV. Kubler Auckland Management. September 2009. Retrieved 2010-11-10.
- "Changing of the guard: meet council’s new faces". Balmain Village Voice (News Limited). 7 October 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- Dale, Amy (9 November 2010). "Leichhardt councillor Alan Cinis charged over drug raid". Daily Telegraph (News Limited). Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- Tovey, Josephine (9 November 2010). "Greens councillor arrested on drugs charges". Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 10 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- Minus, Jodie (9 November 2010). "Greens councillor facing drugs charges after Sydney police raid". The Australian (News Limited). Archived from the original on 9 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Leichhardt Greens councillor Alan Cinis on bond for cannabis". Melbourne Herald Sun. 8 June 2011.