|Born||June 30, 1936|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||Producer, Writer, Actor, television host|
|Years active||1960 - 2012|
|Spouse(s)||Marilyn (divorced 1977; 2 children)|
Suzanne Somers (1977– ; 1 stepchild)
Alan Hamel (born June 30, 1936) is a Canadian entertainer, producer and television host.
Hamel co-hosted the Canadian children's television series Razzle Dazzle (1961–64). The show featured a talking turtle, Howard. In the late 1960s he hosted two syndicated game shows which aired on all the ABC owned and operated TV stations as well as others: Wedding Party (1968) and Anniversary Game (1969), where he first met Suzanne Somers, whom he later married in 1977. In the late 1970s, he hosted The Alan Hamel Show, a popular daytime talk show on CTV. People magazine considered him "Canada's leading TV talk show host".
For several years during the late 1970s and early 1980s, Hamel was a commercial pitchman for American Stores, a chain of supermarkets spanning coast to coast. Hamel specifically did advertisements for Alpha Beta stores in the western United States and also appeared in occasional spots for Acme Markets in the northeastern United States.
Hamel has two children, a son Stephen and a daughter Leslie, from his first marriage to Marilyn Hamel. He met his current wife, actress and author Suzanne Somers who is ten years his junior, when she was a prize model on The Anniversary Game, a game show he hosted. Alan and Suzanne lived together for about ten years before marrying. A rabbi and a Catholic priest officiated at their wedding. Alan is stepfather to Bruce Somers, Jr., Suzanne's son from a previous marriage during her teens.
- 1960: Midnight Zone (CBC)
- 1961: Junior Roundup - Host
- 1961–64: Razzle Dazzle (CBC Television)
- 1962: A Summer Night - Host
- 1963: Nightcap (TV Series)
- 1965: Vacation Time - Co-host
- 1968: Wedding Party (ABC/syndicated)
- 1969: Anniversary Game (ABC/syndicated)
- 1971–72: Mantrap - Host
- 1972–73: Alan Hamel's Comedy Bag (CBC)
- 1976–80: The Alan Hamel Show (CTV)
- 1977: Tattletales (CBS)
- 1977: Lou Grant in Scoop as Councilman Garbers
- 1977: The Last Hurrah (TV Movie) as George Sherrard
- 1978: All in the Family in The Commercial as Ricky Buffano
- 1979: Look Magazine Gala Party (TV Movie)
- 1988: She's the Sheriff in All Alone (1988) as Horton
- Windeler, Robert (7 November 1977). "She's Three's Company". People. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Suzanne Somers and Canadian husband lose home to fire". CanWest News Service. 9 January 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2007-09-14.
- Alan Hamel on IMDb
- Mizoguchi, Karen (April 15, 2015). "'My step-family hell': Suzanne Somers reveals her blended family nearly broke apart her second marriage". Daily Mail.co.uk. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- Sporkin, Elizabeth (November 11, 1991). "Back in Step". People. 36 (18). Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- The Alan Hamel Show at TVArchive.ca