Alan Hinkes OBE (born 26 April 1954) is an English mountaineer from Northallerton in North Yorkshire. Hinkes is the first British mountaineer to have claimed all 14 mountains with elevations greater than 8,000 metres, the so-called eight-thousanders; however, this claim is disputed.
In 2011, Hinkes teamed up with UK tours operator Best of Britain Holidays to lead the 3 Peaks Challenge UK Tour.
Hinkes presented awards with Gemma Merna at Kirkby Suite for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme in 2009
Alan has summited Mount Everest five times.
8,000 m peak climbs
- 1987 - Shishapangma via Central Couloir North Face, with Steve Untch (USA).
- 1988 - Manaslu
- 1990 - Cho Oyu
- 1991 - Broad Peak
- 1995 - K2
- 1996 - Mount Everest - North Face. Filmed for the TV documentary Summit Fever.
- 1996 - Gasherbrum I
- 1996 - Gasherbrum II
- 1997 - Lhotse
- 1997 - Nanga Parbat - Forced to abort attempt after sneezing resulted in a prolapsed disc in his back.
- 1998 - Nanga Parbat
- 1999 - Makalu
- 2000 - Kangchenjunga - Attempted, but turned back because of bad weather conditions. Broke arm on descent.
- 2002 - Annapurna
- 2004 - Dhaulagiri
- 2005 - Kangchenjunga
Other notable ascents
- 1988 Menlungtse West (23,041 ft / 7,023m) FA via West Ridge. Summit attained with Andy Fanshawe (UK), with Chris Bonington (UK), David Breashears and Steve Shea (both USA) in support.
- "Climbers that have summited 10 to 13 of the 14 Main-8000ers". AdventureStats.com. Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- Nyka, Jozef (1988). "Shisha Pangma and Kukuczka's 14th 8000er". American Alpine Journal (New York, NY USA: American Alpine Club) 30 (62): 280. ISBN 0-930410-33-5.
- Bonington, Chris (1989). "Menlungtse Western Summit". American Alpine Journal (New York, NY USA: American Alpine Club) 31 (63): 284–286. ISBN 0-930410-39-4.
|This biographical article relating to a United Kingdom sportsperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to climbing or mountaineering is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|