Alan Hughes (presenter)
His first break was in a television advertisement for ESB Electric Ireland in the 1970s.
In the 1990s, RTÉ gave him his big break hosting prime time quiz show Talk About for 3 years.
Alan is also known as Sammy Sausages, a hugely popular character in The Cheerios Panto which has been an annual smash hit since 1988.
In 2009, Hughes faced a health scare when there were fears he had stomach cancer.
In September 2011, Hughes engaged in a civil partnership with his partner of 18 years, Karl Broderick, a songwriter, at the Unitarian Church in St Stephen's Green, Dublin. The wedding, on the 18th anniversary of their meeting, was described by The Irish Times as the highest profile wedding since legislation permitting it to take place was brought in. Close friend Derek Mooney was his best man. The couple appeared on The Saturday Night Show soon afterwards in their first public interview together.
- "Family Fortunes". TV3. Archived from the original on 2011-11-23.
- "Alan Hughes talks Family Fortunes". RTÉ Ten. Raidió Teilifís Éireann. 21 February 2012. Archived from the original on 8 September 2012. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
Looking at Alan's slick new image for the show, is it likely that his signature deckchair jackets from his RTÉ Talkabout days will resurface? "I'd nearly go to someone in publicity in RTÉ and bribe them to burn every picture!
- Horan, Niamh (12 April 2009). "TV3's Alan reveals cancer scare". Sunday Independent. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "TV3 presenter Alan Hughes gets married". RTÉ Ten. Raidió Teilifís Éireann. 1 October 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- Murphy, Claire (1 October 2011). "TV3 star Alan in tears as he ties knot with Karl". Evening Herald. Archived from the original on 2 August 2012. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- McGreevy, Ronan (1 October 2011). "TV presenter weds partner of 18 years". The Irish Times. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- Ryan, Alexandra (15 October 2011). "From best pals to rivals -- Derek and Alan face TV ratings war". Evening Herald. Archived from the original on 2 August 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
Despite denying similarities between the two shows, insiders revealed that Derek, who was best man at Alan's partnership with Karl Broderick, has been feeling the heat and knows his show will be pitted against Alan's.
- "Hughes and Broderick among Saturday Night Show guests". RTÉ Ten. Raidió Teilifís Éireann. 4 November 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2011. Retrieved 4 November 2011.