Alan J. Hoffman
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||May 30, 1924|
New York City, US
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Awards||John von Neumann Theory Prize (1992)|
|Institutions||Thomas J. Watson Research Center|
City University of New York
|Thesis||On the Foundations of Inversion Geometry (1950)|
|Doctoral advisor||Edgar Lorch|
Alan Jerome Hoffman (born May 30, 1924) is an American mathematician and IBM Fellow emeritus, T. J. Watson Research Center, IBM, in Yorktown Heights, New York. He is the founding editor of the journal Linear Algebra and its Applications, and holds several patents. He has contributed to combinatorial optimization and the eigenvalue theory of graphs. Hoffman and Robert Singleton constructed the Hoffman–Singleton graph, which is the unique Moore graph of degree 7 and diameter 2.
Alan Hoffman is a recipient of many awards.
- IBM Fellow, 1978–
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, 1982–
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1987–
- D. Sc. (Hon.) Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, 1986
- 1992 John von Neumann Theory Prize with Philip Wolfe
- 2002 class of Fellows of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Hoffman A. J. & Jacobs W. (1954) Smooth patterns of production. in Management Science, 1(1): 86–91.
- Hoffman A. J. & Wolfe P. (1985) History. Lawler E. L., Lenstra J. K., Rinnooy Kan A. H. G., & Shmoys D. B., eds. in The Traveling Salesman Problem. John Wiley & Sons: New York.
- Personal Page, IBM. "Alan Hoffman". IBM Research. Archived from the original on 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- A.E. Brouwer & J.H. van Lint, Strongly regular graphs and partial geometries, in: Enumeration and Design - Proc. Silver Jubilee Conf. on Combinatorics, Waterloo, 1982, D.M. Jackson & S.A. Vanstone (eds.) Academic Press, Toronto (1984) 108.
- "People: Alan Hoffman". IBM Research. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- Fellows: Alphabetical List, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences, archived from the original on 2019-05-10, retrieved 2019-10-09
- Biography of Alan J. Hoffman from the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences