Alan Kaufman (writer)
Alan Kaufman, author of the memoirs 'Jew Boy' and 'Drunken Angel', the novel 'Matches' and the anthologies 'The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry', 'The Outlaw Bible of American Literature', 'The Outlaw Bible of American Essays'.
He is also listed as co-editor of The Outlaw Bible of American Literature, alongside Barney Rosset and Neil Ortenberg.
Kaufman is the editor of many anthologies, including The Outlaw Bible of American Literature, which was reviewed on the cover of the New York Times Book Review and The New Generation:Fiction For Our Time From America's Writing Programs. The final volume of the Outlaw anthologies trilogy, The Outlaw Bible of American Essays, appeared on bookshelves during the Fall of 2006. He is also the author of a volume of poetry, 'Who Are We?'.
Kaufman has taught in the graduate and undergraduate schools of the Academy of Art University and in writing workshops in San Francisco. His work has appeared in Salon, The Los Angeles Times, Partisan Review, Tel Aviv Review, San Francisco Examiner, and the San Francisco Chronicle.
Kaufman himself has been widely anthologized, most recently in "Nothing Makes You Free: Writings From Descendants of Holocaust Survivors (TimeBeing Books)" (WW Norton) and Blood To Remember:American Poets On The Holocaust.
Kaufman is a member of PEN American Center and is listed in the Europa Biographical Reference Series.
His memoir – Jew Boy – was published by Fromm International Farrar, Straus, and Giroux and Foxrock Books, imprint of Grove Press publisher and founder Barney Rosset.
His memoir "Drunken Angel" was published in paperback and hardcover by Viva Editions/Cleis Press in 2011 and 2013.
His anthology "The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry" was published in 1999 by Thunders Mouth Press and is now published by Perseus Books.
His anthology (with Barney Rosset) "The Outlaw Bible of American Literature" was published in 2004 by Thunders Mouth Press and is now published by Perseus Books.
His anthology "The Outlaw Bible of American Essays" was published in 2006 by Thunder's Mouth Press and is now published by Perseus Books.
His anthology "The New Generation: Fiction For Our Time From America's Writing Programs" was published in 1987 by Anchor/Doubleday.
- Kelkar, Kamala (7 February 2011). "New university aims to take money out of equation". sfexaminer.com. San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- THE ALAN KAUFMAN PAPERS at The Special Collections Library, University of Delaware
- PEN AMERICAN CENTER/About Alan Kaufman
- THE POETRY FOUNDATION/About Alan Kaufman
- HUFFINGTON POST INTERVIEW WITH ALAN KAUFMAN
- SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE FRONT PAGE Book Review of Alan Kaufman's Memoir JEW BOY
- SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE FRONT PAGE Book Review of Alan Kaufman's novel MATCHES
- NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW OF ALAN KAUFMAN'S THE OUTLAW BIBLE OF AMERICAN LITERATURE
- PUBLISHERS WEEKLY review of Alan Kaufman's memoir DRUNKEN ANGEL
- PUBLISHERS WEEKLY review of Alan Kaufman's memour JEW BOY
- PUBLISHERS WEEKLY review of Alan Kaufman's novel MATCHES