|Full name||Alan Richard Knill|
|Date of birth||8 October 1964|
|Place of birth||Slough, England|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|1993||→ Cardiff City (loan)||4||(0)|
|2005||Rotherham United (caretaker)|
|2013||Torquay United (Interim manager)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Alan Richard Knill (born 8 October 1964) is a former Wales international footballer who played as a central defender for several clubs, including Halifax Town, Swansea City, Bury, Scunthorpe United and Rotherham United and made one appearance for Wales in 1988. He has also managed Rotherham United, Bury, Scunthorpe United and a disastrous and short-lived spell at Torquay United. He is now assistant to Chris Wilder at Sheffield United .
Knill was born in Slough and started his career as a trainee with Southampton in November 1978. He signed as a professional in October 1982, but failed to break into the first–team. He then moved on to Halifax Town (1984–87), Swansea City (1987–89), Bury (1989–93), Cardiff City (1993, on loan), Scunthorpe United (1993–97) and Rotherham United (1997–99).
Knill was appointed manager of Rotherham United in February 2006, when predecessor Mick Harford was sacked. On 1 March 2007, Knill was sacked as manager of Rotherham, leaving the club bottom of League One and without a win in his final 14 games.
On 17 March 2007, he was appointed to Chesterfield's backroom staff to help newly appointed caretaker manager Lee Richardson try save the Spireites from relegation from League One, but the club were eventually relegated.
On 4 February 2008 he was appointed manager of League Two side Bury. In his first full season in charge, Knill led the Shakers to 4th place in League Two, missing out on automatic promotion by one goal on goal difference. They were then beaten on penalties in a play-off semi final against Shrewsbury Town.
With eight games remaining, and only one point from the play-offs, Alan Knill left Bury to join Scunthorpe United on 31 March 2011. His first game in charge was a 6–0 defeat at the hands of Norwich City, followed by a 4–1 victory over table-topping Queens Park Rangers.
After a difficult start to the 2012 season, Knill believed that life had been put into perspective after narrowly avoiding serious injury after a crash with a squirrel.
On 20 February 2013 Torquay United appointed Knill as interim manager in place of Martin Ling, who had gone on sick leave. Knill's objective was to keep The Gulls in the football league and that was achieved on the final day of the season with a 3–3 draw at home to Bristol Rovers. Knill saw his efforts with Torquay as a success, and felt he had "improved his CV" by helping the club avoid relegation. On 7 May 2013 he was appointed the permanent manager of Torquay. Knill was sacked on 2 January 2014 with the club having won only five league games in the 2013–14 season and sitting 23rd in League Two.
- As of 2 January 2014
|Rotherham United (caretaker)||31 January 2005||7 April 2005||11||2||2||7||18.18|
|Rotherham United||10 December 2005||1 March 2007||64||18||17||29||28.13|
|Bury||4 February 2008||31 March 2011||165||71||44||50||43.03|
|Scunthorpe United||31 March 2011||29 October 2012||78||16||30||32||20.51|
|Torquay United||20 February 2013||2 January 2014||27||5||8||14||18.52|
- "Chris Wilder: Sheffield United appoint Northampton boss to replace Nigel Adkins". BBC Sport. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Holley, Duncan; Chalk, Gary (2003). In That Number – A post-war chronicle of Southampton FC. Hagiology Publishing. p. 613. ISBN 0-9534474-3-X.
- "Knill sacked as Rotherham manager". BBC Sport. 1 March 2007. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Knill joins Chesterfield backroom". BBC Sport. 20 March 2007. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Bury appoint Knill as new manager". BBC Sport. 4 February 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Scunthorpe United appoint Bury manager Alan Knill". BBC Sport. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Norwich 6 – 0 Scunthorpe". BBC Sport. 2 April 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Scunthorpe 4 - 1 QPR". BBC Sport. 9 April 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Alan Knill suffers squirrel accident". BBC Sport. 5 September 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Scunthorpe United: Brian Laws replaces Alan Knill as manager". BBC Sport. 29 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Alan Knill: Torquay United sack manager". BBC Sport. Retrieved 3 January 2014.