After a short career as an emergency paramedic in the London Ambulance Service, Lodge took up photography and photographed the early 'free festivals' in 1978. In 1985 Lodge joined the Peace Convoy on its way to Stonehenge where a festival was planned to take place and he photographed 'the Battle of the Beanfield'. In 1987 Lodge published a booklet, Stonehenge: Solstice Ritual, a photographic account of the rituals taking place at Stonehenge.
Since the events at Stonehenge, Lodge has covered a range of issues including the Travellers movement, Reclaim the Streets, the road protests in the mid 1990s and the campaign against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. Lodge is also known for his documentation of police surveillance. Since the late 1990s Lodge has been a major contributor to the media network Indymedia.
- What happened next? The Observer, Feb 2004
- Substantial settlement for photographer over drug falsehood Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine Freelance, Sep 1998
- A 22-page booklet published in Caersws by Lodge Photographics in 1987; ISBN 0-9512496-0-6.
- On Being Watched surveillance photogallery
- Full list of articles published by Alan Lodge
- The 1998 UK Big Brother Awards.