This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
in The Avengers episode, Who Was That Man I Saw You With? (1969)
4 March 1920|
Bearsden, Dunbartonshire. Scotland, UK
29 August 2002 (aged 82)|
Alan MacNaughtan (4 March 1920 – 29 August 2002) was a Scottish actor, born in Bearsden, Dunbartonshire, Scotland, UK. He was educated at The Glasgow Academy, trained at RADA, and graduated in 1940 with the Bancroft Gold Medal. An experienced Old Vic, West End and Broadway actor, he became active in television and certain films between 1954 and 1999.
MacNaughtan played many guest roles in ITC productions of the 1960s and 1970s including The Avengers, The Baron, "The Maze" (ATV/ITC, 1966), Department S, Who Plays the Dummy? (ATV/ITC, 1969), The Saint, The Professionals, and A Stirring of Dust (LWT/Avengers Mark 1, 1978). He also played Major Brenan, a deceptive MI5 agent in The Ghost Talks (Randall and Hopkirk Deceased) in 1969. MacNaughtan's sharp blue eyes and features meant that he often played a villain in such ITC series.
MacNaughtan played Sir Geoffrey Wellingham in Yorkshire Television's The Sandbaggers, Dr. Crawley in Thames Television's Mr Palfrey of Westminster, and portrayed the acerbic teacher Howarth in the 1981 BBC serial To Serve Them All My Days. He played the role of Sir Percy Browne, head of MI5, in A Very British Coup in 1988.
He made a few appearances in films including starring alongside Dirk Bogarde as his disapproving brother-in-law in the then controversial Victim (1961). He also had roles in Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), Patton (1970), Family Life (1971), Shadowlands (1985), The Last Days of Patton (1986), Blue Ice (1992), and The Commissioner (1998).
- Bond of Fear (1956) - Det. Sgt. Daley
- The Secret Place (1957) - Police Inspector (uncredited)
- Victim (1961) - Scott Hankin
- Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) - Kleve
- Patton (1970) - British briefing Officer
- Family Life (1971) - Mr. Caswell
- Shadowlands (1985) - Christopher Riley
- The Last Days of Patton (1986) - Brigadier Hugh Cairns
- Blue Ice (1992) - Lewis Mandorf
- The Commissioner (1998) - Karl Ritter
- "Alan MacNaughtan". BFI.
- "Alan MacNaughtan, actor".
- "Alan MacNaughtan". Telegraph.co.uk. 31 August 2002.
- "The Avengers Forever: Alan MacNaughtan".
- "ROB WILTON THEATRICALIA - National Theatre 1970s".
- "The More Loving One (1999)". BFI.
- "Alan MacNaughton - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie". AllMovie.