Sir Alan Massey
|Born||9 March 1953|
|Commands held||HMS Illustrious|
HMS Ark Royal
Naval Home Command
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Educated at the University of Liverpool and Britannia Royal Naval College, Massey's first posting was to HMS Bulwark in 1979. Massey's first command was HMS Newcastle in 1993, and he later saw service as captain of HMS Campbeltown, HMS Illustrious during operations against the Taliban regime in Afghanistan in 2001 and as captain of HMS Ark Royal when he led the amphibious assault into Iraq in 2003. He led the Operations Division of the Permanent Joint Headquarters at Northwood and then went on to be Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff in July 2005. He assumed office as Second Sea Lord in a ceremony aboard HMS Victory in July 2008.
He and his wife, Julie, live in Southsea with their four children, James, Bella, Tom and Sally. Lady Julie Massey is sponsor of Royal Navy's destroyer HMS Defender.
On 31 October 2003, Massey was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) "in recognition of gallant and distinguished services whilst on operations in Iraq during the period 19th March to 19th April 2003". He was appointed Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB) in the 2009 Queen's Birthday Honours. He is a recipient of two campaign medals: the Iraq Medal and the Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan.
- "Massey, Vice Adm. Sir Alan (Michael)". Who's Who & Who Was Who. Who's Who. December 1, 2017. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Sir Alan Massey Ministry of Defence
- New Chief Executive for Maritime and Coastguard Agency[permanent dead link]
- "Brian Johnson appointed Chief Executive of MCA". GOV.UK. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "No. 57100". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 October 2003. p. 2.
- "No. 59090". The London Gazette (Supplement). 13 June 2009. p. 2.
| Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff
Sir Adrian Johns
| Second Sea Lord
|This biographical article related to the Royal Navy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|