11 June 1959 |
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, audio engineer|
Alan Moulder (born 11 June 1959) is an English record producer and audio engineer. He has worked with such artists as Angels And Airwaves, Foals, Arctic Monkeys, Editors, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Curve, Ride, White Lies, My Bloody Valentine, 2:54, The Vaccines, Placebo, The Killers, Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle, The Smashing Pumpkins, Them Crooked Vultures, Death Cab for Cutie, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Puscifer, Marilyn Manson, Saul Williams, Blonde Redhead, The Morning After Girls, How to Destroy Angels, Interpol, and Foo Fighters.
Moulder was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, where he was educated at Boston Grammar School. From an early age, he had an interest in music, listing among his favourite artists Cream and The Beatles. The first album he ever bought was Electric Warrior by T. Rex, and he was immediately impressed by the quality of that album's recording. He joined his first band as a teenager and recorded a demo in a local studio; it was there that he realised that it had been the production that he had so enjoyed on Electric Warrior, and discovered that he was more interested in music engineering than performing.
Moulder's musical career started in the early 1980s, at Trident Studios in London. As an assistant engineer, he worked with influential producers like Jean Michel Jarre, drawing from them great familiarity with electronic sounds and textures. Also an engineer at Trident was Flood with whom Moulder would often collaborate in the future. Moulder assisted in one of Flood's recording sessions with The Jesus and Mary Chain, and found that the often fractious and troublesome band enjoyed working with him. The Mary Chain invited Moulder to engineer their live sounds and, eventually, to engineer their 1989 album Automatic. The album's production was praised for its combination of thick, noisy guitar with a polished, listener-friendly tone, and the Mary Chain's former label, Creation Records, soon had Moulder producing records for Ride, My Bloody Valentine, and Swervedriver.
After working on the Glider and Tremolo EPs for My Bloody Valentine, Moulder was approached nearly simultaneously by two bands who were fans of that group. In 1992, he mixed The Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, and Ride's Going Blank Again. Then, in 1994, he co-mixed Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral.
His work with Nine Inch Nails led to his engineering several albums for Trent Reznor's Nothing Records, including Prick's eponymous debut album and Marilyn Manson's debut, Portrait of an American Family. In 1995, he would again collaborate with the Smashing Pumpkins, co-producing with Flood their double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
During the 1990s, Moulder also worked extensively with Curve.
In 1996, he worked with Moby on Animal Rights and The Cure on Wild Mood Swings, and the next year worked again with Flood, this time on U2's electronic album Pop. 1998 saw Moulder mixing Monster Magnet's Powertrip. 1999 saw Moulder and Reznor in the studio together again; Moulder co-produced, mixed, and engineered Nine Inch Nails' critically acclaimed The Fragile. Another album with the Smashing Pumpkins, Machina/The Machines of God, followed in 2000, along with a remix album for Nine Inch Nails, the debut by A Perfect Circle, Mer de Noms, and Monster Magnet's God Says No. Alan worked with Lostprophets on a song after the band released their debut album The Fake Sound of Progress.
In 2003, he mixed (and engineered a portion of) the critically acclaimed album, Penance Soiree, by The Icarus Line. This album's reputation has led to its inclusion in publications such as 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. 2003 also saw him guesting as a producer on Gary Numan's album Hybrid alongside Flood, Andy Gray and Curve.
In 2005, Moulder produced Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan's solo debut TheFutureEmbrace  along with another Nine Inch Nails album, With Teeth, and mixed the debut album Hot Fuss by The Killers and Any Minute Now by Soulwax.
In 2006, he worked with the Killers once more, co-producing their second album Sam's Town. The same year, he also mixed the album Ten Silver Drops by Secret Machines and Movie Monster by Sound Team.
Moulder also mixed Puscifer's debut album V Is for Vagina, and Saul Williams' The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust! and Ashes Divide's debut album Keep Telling Myself It's Alright, The Wolfmen (debut album tracks), and Blonde Redhead, and produced their new album 23.
In 2007, Moulder mixed all but four of the tracks for Favourite Worst Nightmare, the second album from Arctic Monkeys, including the UK number 1 single, 'Brianstorm'. Also worked again with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor on the Nine Inch Nails album Year Zero.
In 2008, Moulder produced and mixed, along with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor, the Nine Inch Nails albums Ghosts I-IV and The Slip. Moulder also produced and mixed The Morning After Girls full length Alone.
In 2009 Moulder did a bonus remix of Shine On Down, on the album 3-D for Dean Garcia's latest project, SPC ECO, and also mixed Placebo's album Battle for the Sun, BM LINX's sophomore LP "Black Entertainment", and also mixed the eponymous Them Crooked Vultures album. He also produced and mixed the second Wolfmother album, Cosmic Egg.
In 2014 Moulder mixed several tracks for the eponymous debut from UK power duo Royal Blood, the debut single "Back to Nowhere" from UK alternative rock band Mercutio and the album El Pintor by Interpol
- Alan Moulder on Discogs
- "Alan Moulder - About". Alan Moulder Official Website. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Jorgl, Stephanie. "Alan Moulder: Self-taught Audio Kingpin". Audiohead.net. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "ALAN MOULDER: Recording Nine Inch Nails & Smashing Pumpkins". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Twitter / MikeLewis_: @JSNFRMN joe barresi engineered". Twitter.com. 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever To Tell Information Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Icarus Line – Penance Soirée Information". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Dimery, Robert (2010). 1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (Revised & updated ed.). Rizzoli. p. 933. ISBN 9780789320742. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Gary Numan – Hybrid Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Billy Corrigan – TheFutureEmbrace Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Nine Inch Nails – With Teeth Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Killers – Hot Fuss Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Soulwax – Any Minute Now Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Killers – Sam's Town Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Secret Machines – Ten Silver Drops Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Sound Team – Movie Monster Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "A Perfect Circle's Billy Howerdel Goes Solo As Ashes Divide". Chartattack. 2008-01-03. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- Howe, Zoe (2015). Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus and Mary Chain Story. Birrlin, Ltd. ISBN 9780857906656. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Jorgl, Stephanie. Alan Moulder