11 June 1959 |
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, audio engineer|
Alan Moulder (born 11 June 1959) is an English record producer and audio engineer. He has worked with such artists as Angels And Airwaves, Foals, Arctic Monkeys, Editors, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Curve, Ride, White Lies, My Bloody Valentine, 2:54, The Vaccines, Placebo, The Killers, Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle, The Smashing Pumpkins, Them Crooked Vultures, Death Cab for Cutie, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Puscifer, Marilyn Manson, Saul Williams, Blonde Redhead, The Morning After Girls, How to Destroy Angels, Interpol, and Foo Fighters.
Moulder was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, where he was educated at Boston Grammar School. From an early age, he had an interest in music, listing among his favourite artists Cream and The Beatles. The first album he ever bought was Electric Warrior by T. Rex, and he was immediately impressed by the quality of that album's recording. He joined his first band as a teenager and recorded a demo in a local studio; it was there that he realised that it had been the production that he had so enjoyed on Electric Warrior, and discovered that he was more interested in music engineering than performing.
Moulder's musical career started in the early 1980s, at Trident Studios in London. As an assistant engineer, he worked with influential producers like Jean Michel Jarre, drawing from them great familiarity with electronic sounds and textures. Also an engineer at Trident was Flood with whom Moulder would often collaborate in the future. Moulder assisted in one of Flood's recording sessions with The Jesus and Mary Chain, and found that the often fractious and troublesome band enjoyed working with him. The Mary Chain invited Moulder to engineer their live sounds and, eventually, to engineer their 1989 album Automatic. The album's production was praised for its combination of thick, noisy guitar with a polished, listener-friendly tone, and the Mary Chain's former label, Creation Records, soon had Moulder producing records for Ride, My Bloody Valentine, and Swervedriver.
Selected engineering/production credits
Selected production credits:
- 1989: The Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic (Mixing, Engineering)
- 1990: My Bloody Valentine - Glider (Engineering)
- 1990: Ride - Nowhere (Mixing)
- 1991: My Bloody Valentine - Tremolo (Engineering)
- 1991: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (Engineering)
- 1990: Ride - Going Blank Again (Mixing)
- 1992: Curve - Doppelgänger (Engineering)
- 1992: Ride - Going Blank Again (Mixing)
- 1992: Shakespears Sister - Hormonally Yours (Co-producer)
- 1993: The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (Mixing)
- 1993: Curve - Cuckoo (Engineering)
- 1993: Swervedriver - Mezcal Head (Producer, Mixing)
- 1994: Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (Mixing) 
- 1994: Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family (Mixing, Engineering)
- 1994: Korn - Korn (Mixing)
- 1995: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Co-producer, Mixing)
- 1995: Prick - Prick (Mixing, Engineering)
- 1995: Swervedriver - Ejector Seat Reservation (Co-producer, Mixing)
- 1996: Moby - Animal Rights
- 1996: The Cure on Wild Mood Swings
- 1997: U2 Pop (Co-producer, Mixing)
- 1998: Monster Magnet - Powertrip (Mixing)
- 1999: Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (Co-producer, Mixing and Engineering)
- 1999: Swervedriver - 99th Dream (Co-producer, Mixing)
- 2000: The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina/The Machines of God (Mixing)
- 2000: A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
- 2000: Monster Magnet - God Says No
- 2000: Lostprophets - The Fake Sound of Progress 
- 2002: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fever To Tell (Mixing) 
- 2003: The Icarus Line - Penance Soiree (Mixing, Co-engineering) 
- 2003: Gary Numan - Hybrid (Guest Producer) 
- 2005: Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbrace (Producer) 
- 2005: Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (Producer) 
- 2005: The Killers - Hot Fuss (Mixing)
- 2005: Soulwax - Any Minute Now (Mixing)
- 2006: The Killers - Sam's Town (Co-producer)
- 2006: Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops (Mixing)
- 2006: Sound Team - Movie Monster (Mixing) 
- 2006: Puscifer - V Is for Vagina (Mixing)
- 2006: Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust! (Mixing)
- 2006: Ashes Divide - Keep Telling Myself It's Alright (Mixing) 
- 2006: The Wolfmen - Debut album (Mixing)
- 2006: Blonde Redhead - 23 (Production)
- 2007: Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (Co-mixing)
- 2007: Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (Co-mixing)
- 2008: Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV (Co-Producer & Co-Mixing)
- 2008: Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (Co-Producer & Co-Mixing)
- 2008: The Morning After Girls - Alone (Mixing and Producing)
- 2009: Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg (Mixing and Producing)
- 2009: Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (Mixing)
- 2009: BM LINX - "Black Entertainment" (Mixing)
- 2009: Placebo - Battle for the Sun (Mixing)
- 2009: SPC ECO - Shine On Down (Remix)
- 2010: Interpol - Interpol (Mixing)
- 2010: How to Destroy Angels - eponymous début EP (Co-Producer & Co-Mixing)
- 2011: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (Mixing)
- 2011: White Lies - Ritual (Co-producer)
- 2012: How to Destroy Angels - An Omen EP (Mixing)
- 2012: The Killers - Battle Born (Mixing)
- 2014: Royal Blood - Royal Blood (Mixing)
- 2014: Mercutio - "Back to Nowhere" (Mixing)
- 2014: Interpol - El Pintor
- Alan Moulder on Discogs
- "Alan Moulder - About". Alan Moulder Official Website. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Jorgl, Stephanie. "Alan Moulder: Self-taught Audio Kingpin". Audiohead.net. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "allmusic – Alan Moulder, Credits". AllMusic.com. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "ALAN MOULDER: Recording Nine Inch Nails & Smashing Pumpkins". Sound on Sound. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Twitter / MikeLewis_: @JSNFRMN joe barresi engineered". Twitter.com. 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever To Tell Information Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Icarus Line – Penance Soirée Information". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Gary Numan – Hybrid Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Billy Corrigan – TheFutureEmbrace Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Nine Inch Nails – With Teeth Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Killers – Hot Fuss Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Soulwax – Any Minute Now Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Killers – Sam's Town Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Secret Machines – Ten Silver Drops Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Sound Team – Movie Monster Info Page". Discogs. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "A Perfect Circle's Billy Howerdel Goes Solo As Ashes Divide". Chartattack. 2008-01-03. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- Howe, Zoe (2015). Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus and Mary Chain Story. Birrlin, Ltd. ISBN 9780857906656. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Jorgl, Stephanie. Alan Moulder