Alan Neville Gent
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Alan Neville Gent|
November 11, 1927|
|Died||September 20, 2012
|Institutions||BRPRA, University of Akron|
|Alma mater||University of London|
|Known for||Adhesion, Rubber|
|Notable awards||Bingham Medal (1975)
Charles Goodyear Medal (1990)
Colwyn Medal (1972)
Whitby Award (1987)
Contributions to Rubber Science
- Discoverer of the Fletcher-Gent effect
- Originator of the Gent hyperelastic model
- Investigated the O-ring failure in the space shuttle Challenger disaster.
- Editor/author of the textbook Engineering with Rubber
- Studied the conditions that cause cavitation in rubber under the action of hydrostatic tensile loading 
He was born in Leicester, England. He earned degrees in physics and math at the University of London, finally receiving a doctorate there in 1955 on the mechanics of deformation and fracture of rubber and plastics.
At age 17, he worked as a research assistant at the John Bull Rubber Co. He served in the British Army from 1947-49. He then became a research physicist and later a principal physicist at the British Rubber Producer's Research Association.
Gent joined the faculty of the University of Akron in 1961, spending nearly a half century at the school.
Gent had been assistant director of the Institute of Polymer Science, dean of graduate studies and research, as well as a researcher and professor.
Gent received the Charles Goodyear Medal from the ACS Rubber Division in 1990, and also the George S. Whitby teaching award. Among a number of other honors he received was the Colwyn Medal of the Plastics and Rubber Institute in 1978.
He died Sept. 20 2012 at the age of 85.
- Directory of Graduate Research 1963 p2 "ALAN NEVILLE GENT, Professor (b. 1927). B.Sc, 1946, Ph.D., 1955, Univ. of London. Polymer Physics. Mechanics of rubber spring systems; viscoelastic behavior of polymers; stress relaxation; failure processes; crystallization. A. N. Gent ..."
- "Dr. Alan Neville Gent Obituary: View Alan Gent's Obituary by Akron Beacon Journal". Legacy.com. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Gent, Alan (2012). Engineering with Rubber. Hanser. ISBN 978-1-56990-508-1.
- Gent, Alan N. (1990). "Cavitation in Rubber: A Cautionary Tale". Rubber Chemistry and Technology. 63 (3): 49–53. doi:10.5254/1.3538266.
- (2012) REMEMBERING PROF. ALAN NEVILLE GENT. Rubber Chemistry and Technology: December 2012, Vol. 85, No. 4, pp. 669–670.
-  - photograph of Prof. Gent